1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1977 230 wont start

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Canadian230, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Canadian230

Canadian230 New Member

So a strange thing happened...

My 1977 230 had been starting very well, but suffered from a hunting problem when hot, so I decided to change a few parts just to make sure they weren't causing the problem.

I changed the Ignition Coil, Distributer Cap and Rotor, plus the spark plug wires. Pretty safe right?

The car started the first time, though the engine seemed to struggle to turn over. It ran beautifully, but when I stopped it, it now wont start. The engine doesn't turn over at all - nothing happens when I turn the key. I replaced all the old parts, just in case, but it still doesn't start.

Could the new ignition coil have shorted out the starter motor, or is it just an unfortunate coincidence?

Thanks

Canadian230

2. Number_Cruncher

Number_Cruncher Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1995 W124 E300D TE
    Try starting it in neutral instead of park, or while giving the gear selector a bit of a wiggle. It could simply be the neutral safety switch is beginning to fail - or even that the bushes on the selector mechanism are worn.

3. mattkh

mattkh Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W168 1999 1.6
    Hi
    Is it an Automatic ?

4. OP
    Canadian230

Canadian230 New Member

Yes it is. I also tried it in neutral and it would turn over. It just such a strange coincidence that it happened when I changed the ignition coil...

5. OP
    Canadian230

Canadian230 New Member

Sorry, meant it still wouldn't turn over in Neutral.