1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1998 C43 AMG Gearbox problem,not shifting

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by hebs, Feb 2, 2011.

1. hebs

hebs New Member

Your Mercedes:
    c43 amg
    i went to use my car yesterday,which had been standing for a few weeks. i selected drive but it wouldnt change from 1st gear. it wouldnt select gears manually either. it doesnt slip , just wont select any other gear than 1st. Reverse is OK. Please can anyone help.....

2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Hello and welcome, this sounds like the speed plate has failed, not a big job and you get the transmission fluid changed at the same time

3. OP
    hebs

hebs New Member

Your Mercedes:
    c43 amg
    can you recommend anyone in the Essex area ?

4. OP
    hebs

hebs New Member

Your Mercedes:
    c43 amg
    excuse my ignorance, but what is a speed plate ?

5. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI AMG Line Premium, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
    I would also look at the battery. If it hasn't been used for a few weeks and the battery is weak, it could be throwing it straight into limp mode as there isnt enough cranking voltage to power up the EHCU.

The speed plate is inside the gearbox.

However get a star test done at a good MB indie before you commit. Proper diagnosis is the way forward as it saves time and money.

6. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    The speed plate is the thing that knows the speed of the engine and car and it is ysed for selecting the other gears, with the plate faulty the box does not know what to do so it locks up in either of the first gears. A sensor comes loose on the plate.

Please start a new post in the general section here about a good indie in the Essex area

7. bigasotonuk

bigasotonuk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
    Hi,
    I had a sensor crack on my electro-plate, though it never caused an issue, it was replaced as a matter of course when I recently had my C43 Gearbox and Torque Convertor rebuilt.
    Please do ensure that your car has had a recent gearbox oil and filter change, as the C43 has a notorious reputation for eating them, resulting in a £1500-2000 rebuild, if it can be rebuilt, and new there in the region of £3200 and as the gearbox is unique to the 43 new maybe the only option. Also get them to check the pilot bush, first time I realised mine was leaking on my C43 was when I had the carpets up in the passenger front footwell to be greeted by puddles of ATF and oil soaked sound proofing where the fluid had wicked to the transmission ECU plug in extreme cases can cause ECU failure.