1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 S210 220CDI Limp home

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by GForce, Nov 26, 2012.

1. GForce

GForce New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Various E&G Class
    Esteemed posters,
    I turn to this forum for help with a problem I cannot shake;

Every morning when starting the car, it will have an ABS warning, and if driven, the transmission won't work. It sticks in 3rd gear and the speedometer does not work.
    If I turn the ignition off and remove the key (a few times), it will eventually start with no warning lights and everything will work!

A diagnosis showed the message: ABS control unit error, so I replaced it, to no avail. I have also checked various ground connections and replaced the brake pedal switch (after being advised to do so).

At first I also had a message indicating problems with the RR ABS sensor, and the car would stop shifting, but that was remedied by connecting the sensor(!!)

Has anyone heard of this before, and is there a cure??

Thank you!

Kind regards,
    Bard Thomas

2. toby1

toby1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1998 CL420 C140
    Worth checking battery voltage - too low and it will put the gearbox in limp-home mode. I had this after leaving the car for 4 weeks last winter

3. OP
    GForce

GForce New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Various E&G Class
    Hi,

I have put a good battery in it as someone suggested that could have something to do with it. I have also measured the charging voltage, and it is as it should be, according to the workshop...

4. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI AMG Line Premium, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
    What fault codes do you have?