1999 S210 220CDI Limp home

GForce

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Various E&G Class
Esteemed posters,
I turn to this forum for help with a problem I cannot shake;

Every morning when starting the car, it will have an ABS warning, and if driven, the transmission won't work. It sticks in 3rd gear and the speedometer does not work.
If I turn the ignition off and remove the key (a few times), it will eventually start with no warning lights and everything will work!

A diagnosis showed the message: ABS control unit error, so I replaced it, to no avail. I have also checked various ground connections and replaced the brake pedal switch (after being advised to do so).

At first I also had a message indicating problems with the RR ABS sensor, and the car would stop shifting, but that was remedied by connecting the sensor(!!)

Has anyone heard of this before, and is there a cure??

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Bard Thomas

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Worth checking battery voltage - too low and it will put the gearbox in limp-home mode. I had this after leaving the car for 4 weeks last winter

OP
G

GForce

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Various E&G Class
Hi,

I have put a good battery in it as someone suggested that could have something to do with it. I have also measured the charging voltage, and it is as it should be, according to the workshop...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom