A250 Dangerous Auto Box Fault

DavidCH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 A250
Hi everyone,
I wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing a fault with their new-shape A-Class slipping into neutral. My dealership (Taunton) are aware of this fault and have told me it's a software issue they don't currently have a resolution for. Their suggestion was that I don't drive the car in eco mode, as they believe it only happens in this setting. The fault is really dangerous; the last time it occurred was when I attempted to accelerate into the fast lane to overtake on the M5. I nearly caused a pile-up. As a result I have rejected the vehicle, and it's currently with Mercedes as we attempt to find a resolution.
I wanted to warn anyone that owns a new-shape Mercedes A-Class that has experienced this fault that from my experience it is likely to recur.
Thanks - Dave

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
There are a lot of cars that have the same gearbox as yours and this is the first time I’ve heard it on here, so it could be a software blip that’s not apparent in most.
I wouldn’t be too hasty to reject until the dealer has had reasonable chance to fix it, if they can’t then yes your well within your rights to reject

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Good heads up, one would have thought that MB actually road test thier cars before they go into mass production.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Good heads up, one would have thought that MB actually road test thier cars before they go into mass production.
Having another half who works in the motor industry I can assure you every manufacturer does test quite rigourously.
Not every scenario will present during testing so there will always be scenarios where a fault can develop that was not picked up in testing.

This is surprising because as Matty says it's a common gearbox.

OP
D

DavidCH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 A250
I have rejected it. It's highly dangerous - and I've been advised by a lawyer that as it's unfit for purpose it's a repudiatory breach of contract. If they said they could fix it within the next 6 weeks then maybe I'd consider it. But it's happened for most of the approximately 6 months I've owned the car. The dealership have been aware of it since the same fault caused it to break down within 6 weeks of buying it and they had to come out and fix it. Even then they said it was a temporary fix. Even if I believed their claim it only happens in eco mode (I don't believe it - I think it happened to me in Comfort and or Sport mode also) I would still reject it. I nearly caused a pile-up on the motorway, and Mercedes have told me they have no timescales for a fix.

Also while I've owned the car (it was nearly new, and had done less than 10K miles) the climate control system has gone wrong, and it had a collision/impact system failure. It's not been a great experience!

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Thats a big shame DavidCH. Hope it doesnt tarnsih your affinity with the brand.
Hope you have everything in writing...if not start.

OP
D

DavidCH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 A250
Hi. Yes, I have everything well documented. Unfortunately it has tarnished my view of the brand. The 2014 Bluetec 220D AMG C-Class I had before never let me down. That's why I wanted Mercedes primarily, for the build quality.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Certainly sounds like you’ve given them the opportunity to get it fixed so yes your well within your rights to reject, You’d missed that part out about it being ongoing for a few months and dealer have being trying to fix it already.
As before though this gearbox is fitted to lots of models in the Mercedes range and this is certainly the first I’ve heard of it, hopefully if you do decide to give Mercedes another go it won’t be the same experience

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi David and welcome. Sorry to hear about your problems and I think I would have done the same as you.

Edit... just a thought, have you searched the A Class Forum?

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom