1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying CLS 2011 -2014

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by New Car, Nov 10, 2015.

1. New Car

New Car New Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS 350 - tempted
    We are looking seriously into buying a CLS 350 CDI 2011-14. This is my first car purchase in 10 years following living in cities and no need for a car full time we tended to rent one when we needed it.

We love the look of the CLS and think as a younger couple we can live with 4 seats yet still give us room for a little one if that comes round the corner.

The cars we have seen range in price £17,000 - £21,000 and range of mileage from 40,000 - 75,000.

What i am looking for is what to look for when viewing, what services should cars of this age have received and what is likely to go wrong in the next 30,000 miles (70,000 - 105,000).

We will be using this just at weekends, so i don't expect mileage to be above 8,000 pa.

2. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
    Get the lowest mileage highest spec for your budget, the service history is kept online now so you can ask a dealer to confirm it all and what will need doing in the future.

8k per annum then look for a petrol one

3. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Hello and welcome, there is nothing to report on these fine cars, as above do get what you may like in the way of extra's, if you are unsure, please ask and we can guide you through your purchase.

4. OP
    New Car

New Car New Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS 350 - tempted
    Thank you both. As I said at the top, I haven't bought a car for a long time and never a diesel. But is 60,000 miles still a landmark service / cambelt service?

If so what cost could I be expecting?

5. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    All Mercedes have timing chains and no cam belts, so no worry there.

6. turbopete

turbopete Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 '60' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (sorry)
    8k per year, if almost exclusively weekends, id have no worries contemplating a diesel.

ive said it before, its not the mileage that a car does that kills a DPF, its the WAY those miles are done. and lets be honest, didnt they all say that short trips would be the killer of CATS when they were first brought out on petrol engines? and yet they all survived!
    the trick, IMO is if you come to a point where you are going to park up, if the DPF is in mid regen, stay in the car and leave it running until the regen finishes.

not sure if its the same with the MB system but on my Ford you can tell because the exhaust starts to sound rough like its blowing, and it doesnt drive as smoothly if you arent cruising. when stationary the instant MPG normally reads 0.1g/hr which goes up to 0.4g/hr during a regen. the regen on my car at idle takes about 10 mins from start to finish. there may be similarities here with other/all makes, but this is my first DPF equipped car and so its all i can compare it with

7. aycee

aycee Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Black CLS350 W218, Blue SLK320 R170, Silver A Class W169
    Had my CLS for nearly 2 years and have nothing to report, great car, great drive with plenty of get up and go! Mine's coming up for 50k and still drives like new. Just had new tyres and expect to be changing the brake pads soon. According to MB transmission fluid needs changing at 93k and brake fluid every 2 years. Just completed 2k driving around Ireland and Scotland, averaged 42 mpg.
    Good luck with your purchase, I don't think you will be disappointed.
    As an aside when I was looking for mine there were few petrol engined ones available, apart from the odd 500 all were diesels.

8. ShinyF1

ShinyF1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 E320CDi AG Estate
    Look at the Shooting Brake - I think they look great, with 'sort of' estate practicality too if you can stretch to one. That will be my next car I think once my 210 finally croaks.

9. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    I love the look/style of the CLS 'estate', unfortunately they're not tow bar type approved :(

10. regbuser

regbuser Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS 350 d
    218 350 - great cars, I upgraded a '62 SB for a '65 coupe recently

look for:
    heated front seats (memo function nice)
    airmatic - very rare
    comand
    sun-roof - quite rare
    blind spot assist - very useful
    ils - intelligent light system
    cruise and speed limit assist should be standard, the latter very useful as 3 figure velocities can creep up unexpectedly, such is the pace yet refinement of the car

my top 3 colours for this vintage:
    indium grey metallic
    tenorite grey metallic
    palladium silver metallic

I found the 19" 5 spoke AMG alloys a pain (two full set refurbs in 2 years), would go for a different wheel choice

check the rear view camera is not loose under the boot release lip - gets knocked a lot by people who don't know what it is

check all glass is flawless - that big front screen seemed to be a stonechip magnet

11. OP
    New Car

New Car New Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS 350 - tempted
    Thanks again for all the assistance so far.

We have our shortlist printed and swapping top spot constantly.

Obviously none are local and all in different directions across the country.

However I thought I would get some advice.

The wifes favourite is a 2013 250CDI with 14k miles. It's newer, it's black and the low miles a major plus.

My favourite is a 2011 350CDI AMG Sport with 42k miles. I'm used to driving tiny rental cars, I don't own a car at the moment so any engine will feel brilliant but I can't get over the feeling if I go with the wifes I will be buying the runt of the litter.

What exactly does the sport model get is the 250 a poor choice?

Both cars identically priced.

12. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    350 all day long, the engine is sooooo much better, no comparison at all, if you get a 250 then you will be jealous every time a 350 drives past

13. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
    +1 on the 350, Btw don't worry about mileage my old 211 is now about to turn 150k and I'd say the engine/drive train will out last the rest of the car.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  14. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
  15. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    + another 1 on the 350, so much smoother and the mileage is nothing

16. Boxbrownie

Boxbrownie Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
    And if you do get a choice go for the one with all the best toys, as after it will always feel special from inside...........after all who wants to wear a Savile Row suit with BHS Y-fronts underneath? :D

That goes for the engine choice also...........

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  17. OP
    New Car

New Car New Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS 350 - tempted
    Thanks again.

Can anyone tell me the different options that comes with SPORT over and above the standard BlueEff models?

Secondly, I haven't bought a car for 10 years but I expected to be treated like royalty and also be able to negotiate a decent discount off the list price. My experience so far as a casual buyer has Bern very different. The two garages I've seen the cars at MB Brent park and an MB dealership in Brum. But both have told me the price is the price. Is there such tight margins in 2nd cars. I thought 10% reduction would have been easy.

18. OP
    New Car

New Car New Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS 350 - tempted
    I should say I plan to jump in with both feet this weekend so your fast responses have been brilliant.

19. aycee

aycee Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Black CLS350 W218, Blue SLK320 R170, Silver A Class W169
    Most of it is cosmetic, different bumpers, sills and grille. Sport has visible exhaust tailpipes, harder suspension, 19 inch staggered wheels and LED headlights. Do check on the options fitted though, 350's seem to have more than 250's.
    There's always room for negotiation, maybe not a discount but free serving, new tyres, full tank of fuel, paint protection etc. I also think once you are there they will to all they can to strike a deal.

20. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Not sure on the CLS, bound to be the AMG bits so wheels, suspension, wider arches etc.

Sport is the only spec MB I would buy.

If buying from MB then go over the car in details, I mean look at everything.

Some dealers have a 2 year free servicing offer on as well on "pre owned" so I would be looking at that as it is worth £600+