CLA Shooting Brake or C Class Saloon

c220_Dan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 CLA 220d Shooting Brake
So I got invited down to a 'VIP' sales event at my local MB dealership recently. Whilst I've had my eye on a few newer models recently, I had no real intentions of upgrading at this time, but thought I'd head down to the dealer anyway to get some early ideas for my next car.

Big mistake...I now want a new car....

I'm currently driving a 2013 C220 cdi coupe and I'm 19 months into a 36 month finance deal. Turns out I'm actually in equity at this point (although not by much), and can get myself into a nearly new W205 saloon or CLA Shooting Brake with very similar monthly payments and only around £1k down. I love my current C Coupe, but from certain angles it's starting to look a bit dated compared to the new models.

I'm 27 years old, so the looks of the CLA, especially in Shooting Brake form have always attracted me to it. I took a demo car out on a decent 45 minute test drive yesterday whilst the sales guy was doing some number crunching, and was quite impressed. It was a CLA220d SB AMG Line auto. The newer (dual clutch I think?) 7 speed box is significantly quicker to shift than my current car, but felt significantly more sluggish in comfort mode than mine. Switching to sport helped this considerably.

My only slight concern was the comfort of the seats - although I may not have had it adjusted fully (I'm very picky with my seat position!).

Back in the showroom, the sales guy tells me that due to current deals and interest rates, I could possibly get myself into an ex-demo C Class saloon for similar, or possibly even less money.

I like the new w205 shape, but feel to make it a 'young persons' car it needs to be pretty kitted out exterior-wise. There is an ex-demo C220d AMG Line Premium pack currently available in Iridium silver, with night pack (tinted windows, black window trim, black front splitter/rear diffuser) and pan roof available for a similar price to the equivalent CLA220d SB. I've never been a huge fan of silver, but the black details and wheels make a huge difference.

I took a C Saloon out for a quick test drive and the quality, comfort and refinement was immediately noticeable over the CLA, but I can't help but love the looks of the CLA SB!

Does anyone on here have experience of the CLA, especially the Shooting Brake? You don't see many around, which I think is partly why I am so drawn to them.

Am I silly going for what is essentially a lower model (CLA) over the more premium C Class?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The CLA is a beautiful car IMO, much sportier yet classy looking than the C saloon. I've no experience of driving them though. IMO I don't think you'd look like you'd downgraded from the premium C.
I think you ought to ask for an extended test (I had a V Class for 3 days earlier this year), then you can decide on the seat issue. This is paramount! If you buy a car and the seating position isn't right for you, you will hate the car eventually...ask me how I know??

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Well I'm 26 myself and drive around in arguably an old mans taxi. Because that is the image of the W212, with the exception of mine being a 350 CDI with the AMG sport package. Anyway that aside. I am quite a black and white person. Some appreciate it others do not.

If it were my money, I would go with the C class any day of the week. The question for me would be "why pay C class money for an A class with a big boot?"

Have said it before and been hated for it, and will say it again. For me personally the A, CLA, GLA (anything front wheel drive) is not a proper Mercedes.

OP
C

c220_Dan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The CLA is a beautiful car IMO, much sportier yet classy looking than the C saloon. I've no experience of driving them though. IMO I don't think you'd look like you'd downgraded from the premium C.
I think you ought to ask for an extended test (I had a V Class for 3 days earlier this year), then you can decide on the seat issue. This is paramount! If you buy a car and the seating position isn't right for you, you will hate the car eventually...ask me how I know??

It is mainly the looks that are drawing me towards the CLA SB (does that make me shallow? :D). I think they have so much presence on the road, despite not being a huge car. The practicality is also a bonus. I've had a couple of close calls with the C Coupe, loading purchases in Ikea car parks where my eyes were bigger than my boot!

Very good shout regarding the extended test drive - is that something that Mercedes regularly allow, or are they likely to push back?

I'll ask the question - how do you know? What car was it?

OP
C

c220_Dan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I'm 26 myself and drive around in arguably an old mans taxi. Because that is the image of the W212, with the exception of mine being a 350 CDI with the AMG sport package. Anyway that aside. I am quite a black and white person. Some appreciate it others do not.

If it were my money, I would go with the C class any day of the week. The question for me would be "why pay C class money for an A class with a big boot?"

Have said it before and been hated for it, and will say it again. For me personally the A, CLA, GLA (anything front wheel drive) is not a proper Mercedes.

That is the question that keeps coming back into my mind.

Unfortunately the particular C Class in question has this morning been snapped up by someone else, but there are others (slightly lower spec) available.

I have found a very nicely specced CLA Shooting Brake, slightly older (Jan 2016 with 16k miles) for a great price, making it not only cheaper than the equivalent C Saloons, but cheaper than my current payments. The car is a pre-face lift, but with the newer 220d engine.
  • Cosmos Black Metallic
  • Night pack
  • Mirror pack
  • Upgraded multi-spoke black alloys
  • Pan roof
  • Garmin Sat Nav (which I probably won't use - I've always preferred to use iPhone based satnav apps)
  • Ambient Lighting
  • Storage pack

I think I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort and refinement for looks, practicality and (if going for a 2016 model) price. I think I am anyway....hmm...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It is mainly the looks that are drawing me towards the CLA SB (does that make me shallow? :D). I think they have so much presence on the road, despite not being a huge car. The practicality is also a bonus. I've had a couple of close calls with the C Coupe, loading purchases in Ikea car parks where my eyes were bigger than my boot!

Very good shout regarding the extended test drive - is that something that Mercedes regularly allow, or are they likely to push back?

I'll ask the question - how do you know? What car was it?
They have a number of extended test drive cars available from HQ, these can be organised by your dealer. You obviously have to give them some notice to organise it. I did it through MB Liverpool and they gave me a V Class for 3 days which was delivered by HQ direct with a driver (Back up guy collected him) to my home, and collected from there after the test.
As it happens I didn't buy the V Class, just too much of a van. We opted for a Volvo XC90 2018 model we got 3 weeks ago. As you can see I also have the E63.
Will they push back? Not if they think you're serious and they want to get you into another MB...

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
It is mainly the looks that are drawing me towards the CLA SB (does that make me shallow? :D).

Not at all. Buying a car has to be a heart as well as head decision.

OP
C

c220_Dan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So whilst not a full 3 day extended test drive, I have now taken out the dealer's CLA SB demonstrator out for an afternoon and had a proper play. The seats although different, are still comfortable once adjusted properly (just takes a bit longer to do so with the manual levers rather than electronic seats). I can live with the manual seat adjustments as I rarely move my seat in my current C Coupe.

I have also placed a (refundable) holding deposit on the 2016 car I mentioned a few posts above. The car itself is at another dealer within the same group and is being transported over for me to take a proper look at/potentially buy. Whilst placing my deposit I queried why this particular car seemed so cheap in comparison to other similar ones also for sale. There is even an identically spec'd (even down to an almost identical number plate) car for sale within the dealership group for £3k more, despite only a few K miles difference. My sales guy went through the car's full history with me on their computer system (mentioning that I'm not meant to see everything that I did) and there was nothing worrying that stood out.

Speaking to him again this afternoon revealed that the car had been incorrectly entered into the other group dealer's used pricing system as a CLA Coupe rather than Shooting Brake, generating a much lower price tag than it should have. As I've already reserved the car, it's mine for the advertised price if I want it. It looks like I may have bagged myself a bargain.

Going to take a full look at the car in person when it arrives, along with a test drive, before committing. In addition to the low price, the current sales event adds another £500 discount, plus £750 dealer deposit contribution until 30th June, hence why I may seem to be rushing.

Anything I should look out for in particular when the car arrives at my dealer?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sounds like a sensible move you'll be happy with. Buying in the network will give you benefits and comfort and the 2016 models going to give at least another 2 years warranty.
Only advice I'd give is to check all the panels for repairs, dings etc. Ditto wheels. Should all be good...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Happy days, sounds like a nice car, I followed a CLA250SB last night and it made a lovely sound :mad:

Was Red and looked great

Last edited:

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
As Nike once said, just do it!

Lisadj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d AMG Line coupé
I had a C220 AMG line saloon, was a nice car but a bit "manly" / "company car" for me.
I got a CLA as a courtesy car when mine was in for a service and I didn't like the interior as much, it hadn't had a facelift.
So I would put the C class saloon over the CLA.

Have you not looked at the new coupe? (Like mine) :D I love it.

*edit* just finished reading the thread. You've already chosen.

OP
C

c220_Dan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a C220 AMG line saloon, was a nice car but a bit "manly" / "company car" for me.
I got a CLA as a courtesy car when mine was in for a service and I didn't like the interior as much, it hadn't had a facelift.
So I would put the C class saloon over the CLA.

Have you not looked at the new coupe? (Like mine) :D I love it.

*edit* just finished reading the thread. You've already chosen.

I have looked at the new coupe, but they're a bit out of my price range. Yours is lovely, big fan of the new Brilliant Blue. My fiancé on the other hand hates all blue cars! :(

With an upcoming wedding in 2 months time, plus talk of babies already (although I am trying to convert the baby into a dog first!), I think I'm also ready to step away from 2 doors. In fact, this will be my first car with more than 2 or 3 doors.

This particular car I'm looking at has the newer steering wheel and 220d engine (slightly quicker to 60 than the older '220 CDI' engine I believe).

OP
C

c220_Dan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I have read a lot of these reviews, but thanks for posting. Being the Shooting Brake, the rear headroom is slightly improved, but I do agree with the comfort and interior quality remarks.

I think my mind is made up though, I just can't help but love the lines on the CLA SB. This is the first time I've ever stuck with a car manufacturer, and see myself sticking with them for the foreseeable future. Plenty of years ahead to get into the more luxury models.

Lisadj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d AMG Line coupé
I have looked at the new coupe, but they're a bit out of my price range. Yours is lovely, big fan of the new Brilliant Blue. My fiancé on the other hand hates all blue cars! :(

With an upcoming wedding in 2 months time, plus talk of babies already (although I am trying to convert the baby into a dog first!), I think I'm also ready to step away from 2 doors. In fact, this will be my first car with more than 2 or 3 doors.

This particular car I'm looking at has the newer steering wheel and 220d engine (slightly quicker to 60 than the older '220 CDI' engine I believe).

Fair enough, good reasons to want the bigger car, and more doors. Whether that is baby or dog! My son is 7 now so capable of getting in & out.

OP
C

c220_Dan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Quick update - picking up my new car tomorrow afternoon! Will post a few pictures once I have it, weather permitting.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
A TREAT FOR THE EYE ON A GREY MORNING. LOVELY
Sorry, didn't mean to shout, caps lock left on.

Top Bottom