Drivers that really irritate me

Wezzel

Reaction score
Drivers who when turning right onto a busy road pull out half way and stop the traffic while waiting for a gap in the other direction.

I always pretend I haven't seen them and drive at their door at 40mph, just stopping in time about 3 inches from the drivers door. A******s !

All the things mentioned in the above posts boil down to courteousness and good manners. Perhaps it should be taught in schools from an early age. After all what goes around comes around.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
we do seem to be ...

...getting a lot of global driving habits developing. I know it is common in some other countries for the side road to have priority, and therefore for the driver's to be able to force themselves on the main road, but here we are supposed to give way. Okay, we aren't supposed to block side roads in traffic,and we are supposed to leave a safe gap, but all this bring the main road to a halt just because someone wants to come out is very annoying, and dangerous, as it goes against our give way to the right rule of the road.(actually, it's against the law, but why would that have anything to do with it)

squealinneil

Reaction score
People who sit in the middle lane of a motorway when the nearside lane is empty. Ignorant.

The Editor

Reaction score
What about.....

You're sitting at a T junction ready to pull out left with your indicator flashing merrily away. A car is approaching from your right so you wait until he/she is passed before you attempt to turn left..... Then all of a sudden ..... They turn left into the junction you've been sitting at without so much as a flicker from their indicators all of which means you couldv'e ****** turned out in the first place if they'd have been courteous enough to indicate !!

Oh... and another one... people that just can not stay in their lane while negotiating a roundabout (Lorries with 740 ft trailers excepted !!)

Oh... AND another one..... people that don't indicate on exiting a roundabout !!

Oh... AND.... People that can't park parallel in a parking space so the rear of their car is so skew to yours when you return you cant reverse out and turn the way you want to !!

Phew... gotta have a lay down now..............

robbi-wan

Reaction score
The worst driver of all has to be the one who is incapable of parallel parking and instead prefers to drive onto the pavement at an angle and leave it looking like it has been stolen!!!!

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
people turning out of side roads onto the main road that you are travelling on, going in the same direction, but making no effort to accelerate smartly so that you end up braking.......makes you want to ram them up the rear.

inconsiderate drivers that you let through an obstruction, parked cars etc., an they dont acknowledge the courtesy you have shown them.

turnipsock

Reaction score
Wezzel said:
Drivers who when turning right onto a busy road pull out half way and stop the traffic while waiting for a gap in the other direction.

My Tattic here is to attempt to drive round themby moving into the right hand lane. Cos they are looking left, when the gap appears they start to drive and then look right to be staring at a car, now with the horn being used. i once caused a guy to visably jump out of his seat.

When you are a ship at sea, and you have right of way, the rule is that you must 'stand on'. It makes sense, suppose you are a sailing along, heading straight for another ship, you decide to do him a courtesy by turning to port even though he is now turning to starboard!

If you apply this rule to car driving and 'stand on' when you have priority things would flow a lot better.

F

fwb44

Drivers who tailgate me for miles when I'm doing a perfectly inoffensive 80 in the middle lane on cruise control only to roar past and then plonk themelves 5 yards in front of me - @ 80 m.p.h... To$$ers!!

I've found the cruise control is a useful, if subtle, weapon of attrition. I drop back a couple of seconds but resume cc & stay behind them. They either speed up, or move over. Upward inclines in the road usually have them fall back too.

ColinG

Reaction score
What about drivers who stop on the pumps in a small petrol station, go into the shop and browse the aisles whilst the rest of us form an orderly queue out into the road. Having bought their generic plastic clad E number sandwich and tin of liquid sacharin, they then climb back into their car and adjust everything as though they`ve never driven the car. Finally poodling off totally oblivious to the combined heat from multiple clenched teeth and fists.

Another quickie I don`t think has been mentioned yet, people who wait for a queue to form behind them in the right hand lane at a set of traffic lights before they decide to let everyone know they want to turn right.

F

fwb44

Grrrr ... you've reminded me of another sub-group who really irritate me ... those drivers who stick their car right in front of the car wash entrance and THEN go to the kiosk to buy their newspaper/sandwich/drink/car wash ticket ... you could have had yours washed & been gone in the time you wait for them to saunter back ... invariably with the £5.99 program that 'waxes' the car, 'washes the underbody', goes back & forth at infinitesimal length spraying this and that over the car & then ... ****** blow-dries the whole mess afterwards!

ColinG

Reaction score
Ditto for parking across the airline bay whilst doing their weekly shop, or better yet abandoning their car across the kiosk doorway obstructing everyone (I think that`s been covered earlier though) I can`t think of any other petrol station irritants other than the brigade who find it impossible to be separated from their beloved window rattling bass speakers even whilst filling up. I suppose they have to leave it on to remember which is their car, "Duhhh"

squealinneil

Reaction score
fwb44 said:
Drivers who tailgate me for miles when I'm doing a perfectly inoffensive 80 in the middle lane on cruise control only to roar past and then plonk themelves 5 yards in front of me - @ 80 m.p.h... To$$ers!!.

fwb44,
Sorry to be the one to point this out to you, but if you are sitting in the middle lane with drivers on your tail "for miles" why don't you do the reasonable thing, the thing required by the Highway Code, the common sense thing, the courteous thing and GET THE F*CK INTO THE LEFT HAND LANE AND LET FASTER TRAFFIC GO PAST?

These drivers pull in front of you and slow down because they are P.O.ed with you. Try moving to the left once you've overtaken a car and the problem disappears!! Go on, try it next week.

My pet hate is middle lane road hogs. They force traffic into a high speed fast lane convoy while the slow lane is all but empty.

http://www.supanet.com/motoring/features/news/9761/Middle_lane_hogging_problem_exposed.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...rac22.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/08/22/ixhome.html

F

fwb44

squealinneil said:
GET THE F*CK INTO THE LEFT HAND LANE AND LET FASTER TRAFFIC GO PAST?
Now then, now then ...

1. Don't SHOUT
2. Don't swear (or not at me at any rate)
3. Don't assume there is space in an inside lane for me to get into it. When there is, I do.
4. Take a chill pill

Have a great weekend!

shrekky

Reaction score
sunderland...where ?......just south of scotland..
I too hate middle lane hoggers............i hate driving on motorways in this country..............take a leaf out of the european book.I quite often got o europe and absolutely love driving there because the lane discipline is much much better,pull out overtake,pull back in,.............simple except the total morons in this country cant follow it.
what gets me,especially the middle aged women in nissan micras,that seem to be everywhere i go,sitting in the middle lane doing 45 mph,being undertaken by wagons( who has never been in a accident but has seen thousands...lol),driving like this is actually ILLEGAL !!, it is "driving without due care and attention".....................because the full title is actually "driving without due care and attention for other roads users" and having spoke to some police officers i know,who would love to prosecute drivers like that,but they report such drivers and its the crown prosecution service that refuses to prosecute"safe" drivers...............wait till i stop laughing................so there you have it............its got nothing what so ever to do with safety,and people who come across these drivers know it...........its politics !!!
I once got done because of a driver like this.................driving down to dover ferry from the north east..........i got to the M20,and i was drawing a small trailer,came across miss middle aged safety driver doing 42mph is the middle lane,now towing a trailer i'm not allowed in the fast lane and restriscted to 60 mph,wanting to get past her,i had sat behind her for 4 miles,gave her a gentle flash of the headlights,waited another 4-5 miles,gave another flash...............would she hell move out of the way !!!!...........waited another 4-5 miles and began to flash her more,thinking she hadn't seen me, and motioned for her to move over and by the way the inside lane was damn empty !!!.................having had enough of this i decided to go by her............not many cars around,quickly i nip into the fast lane,foot down ,once past her i pulled back in........never going above 60mph...............only to have a unmakarked car blues and twos me .unknown to me she had phoned the police on her mobile and said she was in fear of her life as someone was trying to run her off the road,so unmarked car was dispatched(thats how long i was behind her).............so there i am being done for going in the fast lane with a trailer,while she went on her merry way at 42mph in the middle lane.............yet the copper admitted she was in the wrong,he wouldn't issue her a ticket !

Last edited:

turnipsock

Reaction score
Flashing headlights seldom works, most drivers take offence and then spend an age moving over, if at all. Flashing headlights seems to work at LeMans though.

One of the best ways to deal with the middle lane hoggers is to pull in in front of them and then go slower and slower till they have to move into the fast lane. Once they are there, you can keep them there so they become an outside lane hogger. You never know, they might get the message. If they don't, they will be getting flashed by somebody and they will take an age to move over, if at all.

turnipsock

Reaction score
Petrol stations.

People that que up behind your car as if they can't fill their car from the other side once in a while. You feel really rushed cos they are sitting waiting for you to come back so they can get on a pump. I always find this is a good time toopen the bonnet and check the oil.

fwb44...I think I covered the parking in front of the car wash with my parking in front of the entrance post. Basically you need to make a big deal of walking past the 'obstruction' and steading yourself on the car (with keys in hand) works best if there are still people in the car. Also, if if you have a big estate you can almost t-bone the 'obstruction' while you are on the pumps. This blocks their drivers door. If you can nail their driver door, you can spend hours getting a few more drops of petrol into your car.

shrekky

Reaction score
sunderland...where ?......just south of scotland..
turnipsock said:
One of the best ways to deal with the middle lane hoggers is to pull in in front of them and then go slower and slower till they have to move into the fast lane. Once they are there, you can keep them there so they become an outside lane hogger. You never know, they might get the message. If they don't, they will be getting flashed by somebody and they will take an age to move over, if at all.
Ah but turnip the trick is to get past with a trailer in the 1st place.......
cant go in the fast lane,cant undertake,both ways you break the law...........could understand if i raced upto their bumper,sat for 10 seconds then flashed the lights.............but i was there for best part of 30 god damn miles !
And what the self confest middle lane hoggers dont realise is that they are actually a danger !......not driving safely......................90% of people cant judge speed,let alone in a moving vehicle watching a another moving vehicle,and others assume because you're in the middle lane,you are doing a fairly decent speed,and get caught out when they catch you faster than they think they would..............hence my earlier remark "i know a woman driver and shes never had a accident but seen thousands"............because she caused them by going to slow in the middle lane !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom