How many things have Mercedes thought of?

pma

Reaction score
Surely the engine temp is shown and that is what you need while driving. The outside air temp is surely not essential while driving?

I disagree when it,s around 0 degrees thats when wet roads become ice roads on most cars ( I have had ) you get a warning light when its drops to 3 or 4 degrees but NOT on my Mercedes

OP
rf065

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I disagree when it,s around 0 degrees thats when wet roads become ice roads on most cars ( I have had ) you get a warning light when its drops to 3 or 4 degrees but NOT on my Mercedes

I've noticed black ice start to form when the temp is still 2 or 3C.
The asphalt & air temp can vary quite a lot, I imagine that's why all the ice warnings on any of my previous cars tend to come on at 3C.

Russ

pma

Reaction score
I've noticed black ice start to form when the temp is still 2 or 3C.
The asphalt & air temp can vary quite a lot, I imagine that's why all the ice warnings on any of my previous cars tend to come on at 3C.

Russ

water freezes & boils at 0 & 100 c at sea level but at higher altitude it freezes at a higher temperature & boils at a lower temperature

jerrytlr

Reaction score
a couple more from the CLS... all to do with interior lighting

- the interior door handles have a very soft light in the recess so you can find them - completely unnecessary but v. cool :)
- really like the 'ambient lighting' too, does seem to make driving at night more pleasant, no idea why this is though
- front map reading lights located in the bottom of the rear view mirror - this is a stroke of genius as far less distracting when driving than having them shine from the roof

Cheers,

Jerry

Last edited:
OP
rf065

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
water freezes & boils at 0 & 100 c at sea level but at higher altitude it freezes at a higher temperature & boils at a lower temperature

I'm 210m above sea level, that may explain it.

Russ

jackwall5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C220 Cdi Automatic
Surely the engine temp is shown and that is what you need while driving. The outside air temp is surely not essential while driving?

Indeed Hawk, It is the engine temp that I was mainly referring to.

Both the engine and the outside temp info is there but what I was referring to is, the engine temp it's not shown on the cluster as a seperate dial/display in the same way as the fuel or the rev counter is shown. I have to navigate on the menu to get it to display.

Since moving here to Austria, the outside temp has become a really valuable thing also and as pma mentioned above, I too, miss the audible note which my old Focus sent me as the temp dropped.

In any case, I'll quieten up here and stop complaining ....... I'm very pleased to be driving my MB as it is.

Safe Driving

Last edited:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Indeed Hawk, It is the engine temp that I was mainly referring to.

Both the engine and the outside temp info is there but what I was referring to is, the engine temp it's not shown on the cluster as a seperate dial/display in the same way as the fuel or the rev counter is shown. I have to navigate on the menu to get it to display.

Since moving here to Austria, the outside temp has become a really valuable thing also and as pma mentioned above, I too, miss the audible note which my old Focus sent me as the temp dropped.

In any case, I'll quieten up here and stop complaining ....... I'm very pleased to be driving my MB as it is.

Safe Driving

Yours is a perfectly valid point on safety grounds. On my E class the engine temperature has its own dial. But outside temp is only available via the menu. I would like the outside temp to be permanently on display and an audible or visual warning of possible frost temps would also be useful. Especially this month! Even here in the 'deep south' and right near the sea, we have had black ice and lots of snow this year.

OP
rf065

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The outside temp is on permanent display on mine, very handy.

As is the way the window wipers stop when the passenger door is opened to prevent them sweeping water onto anyone getting in or out of the door.

Russ

C

C180 Chris

A few things that i can think of that stand out for me...

1, My daughter likes the fact the the back door window of my little C180 goes all the way down, not only half way like most cars

2, The active cruise control on an S class that i use at work, All you need to do is steer!

3, A Merc is the only car i know where the seat goes far enough back for me to be comfy.

4, double glazed windows (as in the W140)

5, self closing doors.

All the best,

Chris.

D

doversole

The fact that the drivers floor mat doesn't 'ruck up' under the pedals.

This is helped by the two chromium clips that hold the mat securely under the drivers seat on my W202.

I know it's only a 'piffling thing' but it shows they've given this some thought!

DoverSole

jerrytlr

Reaction score
Possibly a controversial one this:

- having indicators, wipers etc. all on one stalk (personally I like it). Pretty sure this is a Merc first.

The other think I am pretty sure Merc did first - having rear light units that are heavily grooved (I'm going back a fair bit here - early 70s I think) so that they are still bright even when dirty (my Dad's '74 200 and '78 280CE had these).

Cheers,

Jerry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Possibly a controversial one this:

- having indicators, wipers etc. all on one stalk (personally I like it). Pretty sure this is a Merc first.

The other think I am pretty sure Merc did first - having rear light units that are heavily grooved (I'm going back a fair bit here - early 70s I think) so that they are still bright even when dirty (my Dad's '74 200 and '78 280CE had these).

Cheers,
Jerry

I like the single stalk too, its a nice touch, they can go wrong but if you replace it at least they all get changed at the same time

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
The headlights turn off, after about 2 mins, if I wait for someone, with the motor idling. They come back on when the car moves forward or backward. Not sure of the purpose, but I like it.

I must admit I don't like the wiper/ indicator. My GM has it too. I can never remember which way to turn it! The single right lever seems much more intuitive.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Great point - it was the mirrors NOT folding in that indicated the Central Locking on our SL wasn't functioning!

Do not forget that you can turn that feature off or on in the consumers menu in the dash

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Do not forget that you can turn that feature off or on in the consumers menu in the dash

I like the auto folding feature. When I get to the end of the car park, and forget whether I locked the car (early Alzheimer's?), or not, it gives me visible confirmation without having to walk all the way back.

Who said the MB was an old man's car!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I like the auto folding feature. When I get to the end of the car park, and forget whether I locked the car (early Alzheimer's?), or not, it gives me visible confirmation without having to walk all the way back.

Who said the MB was an old man's car!

Well I never look back, it does not do me any good:(

ps I will answer your pm shortly

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
I like the fact that they foresaw the Dyson cleaner, the small cleaning head with the felt on the bottom fits exactly at the front of the carpeted tray between the front seats (W124)

D

doversole

Another simple but effective touch.

Wipers on full time, pull up at the traffic lights and they change to intermittent!

Saves the annoying 'squeak, squawk' you get with other cars when it's only raining a little.
(in stark contrast to todays rain, btw!!)

DoverSole

Top Bottom