Jammed lock cylinder 190E Please help

OP
F

Filip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E Sportline/1990/2.0
Well i havent bought nail varnish yet (Hrrrmmm) But ill do it tomorrow. This will be the last try before i go mental on the lock though!!!

What type of drill should i use in case?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
We do have some threads somewhere on grinding off the lock

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Wonder is this… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=76312 … is the same lock as yours!

Regarding the nail varnish, that I know off, only one person got the key to turn after a second coat of varnish was applied to the key blade… 3 others, that I know of, failed to get it get the key to turn.

In theory, it should work, PROVIDED the failure of the lock is caused by wear on the levers inside the lock barrel, however if a flat blade screwdriver was inserted into the key hole and forced to turn then it is possible that one or two of the barrel levers are damaged so the key might be further compromised.

Dec

OP
F

Filip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E Sportline/1990/2.0
Wonder is this… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=76312 … is the same lock as yours!

Regarding the nail varnish, that I know off, only one person got the key to turn after a second coat of varnish was applied to the key blade… 3 others, that I know of, failed to get it get the key to turn.

In theory, it should work, PROVIDED the failure of the lock is caused by wear on the levers inside the lock barrel, however if a flat blade screwdriver was inserted into the key hole and forced to turn then it is possible that one or two of the barrel levers are damaged so the key might be further compromised.

Dec

Thanks a lot! Its the same lock and I will follow that guide if i dont get the key turning this weekend.

OP
F

Filip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E Sportline/1990/2.0
Havent had any time to work with the car the last couple weeks due to I dont have the car near my home right now. This weekend Im gonna work with it all the tome though! Ive borrowed a dremel and some disks. One diamond one. I really hope I get it to work this weekend. Ill put in some pics on my progress then.

I have a used lock barrel, do you think its worth it or should I order a completely new one?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Havent had any time to work with the car the last couple weeks due to I dont have the car near my home right now. This weekend Im gonna work with it all the tome though! Ive borrowed a dremel and some disks. One diamond one. I really hope I get it to work this weekend. Ill put in some pics on my progress then.

I have a used lock barrel, do you think its worth it or should I order a completely new one?

Under £50 for the right one to match your keys

OP
F

Filip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E Sportline/1990/2.0
So this is what it looks like right now:

So i guess its time to start drilling?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
So, what’s the plan, where you going to drill?

Dec

OP
F

Filip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E Sportline/1990/2.0
YYYEESSSSS!!!!! Finally!!!! After drilling the whole damn thing to crumbles I managed to get it to turn with a screwdriver!! This is such a relief!

The whole lock assembly should be able to be removed now right?

Thanks evrybody for the help, especially television and Dec.

I will make an update with photos and such if someone needs the same help I did.

OP
F

Filip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E Sportline/1990/2.0
Was just thinking, do I even have to take out the barrel? I mean the lock in positon 1 now basically and the steering wheel lock is not a problem anymore?

Hope to be finished next weekend then im gonna take it for a spin :D

Thanks for the support evrybody :)

This is the way the car looks like by the way:

Mercedes 142 by Astonvilla92, on Flickr

Last edited:

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Was just thinking, do o even have to take out the barrel? I mean the lock in positon 1 now basically and the steering wheel lock i not a problem anymore?

I though it was your intention to remove this barrel and replace it with another barrel?

Dec

OP
F

Filip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E Sportline/1990/2.0
Nah I´ve probably damaged the lock too much and i have a spare complete switch assembly just lying around.
My intention is to switch the whole assembly. But if the inside of the lock looks fine i just might switch only the barrel.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
If you can now get it to position 1 then it might come out, you will still have to use the wire tool, it all depends what shape it is in now, it’s hard to tell from the picture.

Dec

OP
F

Filip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E Sportline/1990/2.0
guoss your right dec. I cant work with the car until next weekend but what im thinking off is if the actual barrel will rotate or just the lock. Might have to drill small holes so I can stick the tool all the way down.

OP
F

Filip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E Sportline/1990/2.0
Yes now the lock is finally totally removed.

I have a spare one from a w124 that i want to put in.

Anyone know if I can put a lock from an w124 in my w201? They look almost identical apart from details and the steering lock looks a bit different.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do not think they are the same, they have different part number and the 201 version is much cheaper than the 124 barrel

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Yes it will fit. But I would put a new one in so you do not get the same problem twice. Hope this helps

OP
F

Filip

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E Sportline/1990/2.0
Alright I think i have decided to buy a completely new lock assembly! I love this car and I plan to keep it long.

They arent really as expensive as i thought,
I found one really cheap, completely new but the thing is I think its a diesel version! If i switch the whole chunk of the electric switch stuff, will it work?? pretty sure it won´t but i´ll keep looking :neutral: Haha my english is lousy...

Top Bottom