Looking for an MB SL - R230

300SL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W216 CL63 AMG
I'm looking for an SL as I have always wanted one. I would love a new one, but they're too much money. What would you recommend engine wise and what sort of options should I be looking for (must-haves) and are there options to avoid.

Before it is mentioned, I do not want the SL 350, the engine is too small for me.

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, first what year are you looking at to buy, the first big change was in 06-06 with the new engine

JeremyTucker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/S430
Get a 2005MY onwards model with the revised comand system and 7G-tronic on an SL500. Preferably with a replaced ABC pump and front shocks.

OP
300SL

300SL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 W216 CL63 AMG
I thought about the changes as well, I forgot to include that on my first post. I think I will go before the update in 06. The range of years would proberly be from 2003 (53) until 2005 (55).

JeremyTucker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/S430
They changed the electronics (comand system completely revised, 3d, widescreen, dvd with bluetooth and most bus) along with a much better 7 speed gearbox in 2005. Therefore if you are looking at pre 06/07 models then you have only 2005 to look at really.

If you go older than 2005 then simply buy a decent condition 2002 model with ideally a fresh ABC pump and shocks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OK then as Jeremy above^ try and get one with a newish SBC pump as we have to pay for these now.

Look underneath at all 4 struts to see that none are leaking.

Check the inside edges of the rear wheel arches for rust.

Nice to have.

Comfort seats
Distronic plus
Keyless go

The AMG body kit is if you like the look the best, they all come with comand APS dvd. Panoramic roof is nice if the colour of the car will support it.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Hello and welcome

Take note of all of the foregoing.......condition and provenance are everything.

I would try to find the best 55 plate (pre the RFL hike) SL500 that you can afford. The basic car is very well equipped and like Malcolm I think the all singing all dancing seats are a well worth extra.......unlike Malcolm I would not want keyless go nor would I want a panoramic roof but these details are a matter of personal choice.
Mileage is largely irrelevant......at that age you will get the 7g box for better or for worse......in the real world the 306bhp engine is adequate but one always wants more horses if at all possible although in my view not at the expense of natural aspiration.

Mic

JeremyTucker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/S430
Out of interest, why would you not want keyless go or pan roof? Both are very nice options neither of which have a downside as such?

Keyless especially is probably one of my favourite features of mine :)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
what is your budget? That may determine what you can get...

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Out of interest, why would you not want keyless go or pan roof? Both are very nice options neither of which have a downside as such?

Keyless especially is probably one of my favourite features of mine :)

If you like them seek them out.......for me keyless go is an unnecessary complication that offers no benefit......I think the pano roof spoils the appearance of the car.

Mic

PS. Not part of my reasoning for not wanting keyless go but in the Sunday Times last week it was being claimed that cars with keyless entry systems and a start button are a security risk that currently has no solution......Ingear pages 4-5

Last edited:

JeremyTucker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/S430
If you like them seek them out.......for me keyless go is an unnecessary complication that offers no benefit......I think the pano roof spoils the appearance of the car.

Mic

PS. Not part of my reasoning for not wanting keyless go but in the Sunday Times last week it was being claimed that cars with keyless entry systems and a start button are a security risk that currently has no solution......Ingear pages 4-5

Have you had keyless go on any of your vehicles before? It really is quite a nice feature, way more than a gimmick its a feature which i think is really worth having.

Pano roof i do not feel strongly about at all, its "nice to have" on a black car where you cant see it, but on another colour i can see how you might not like the way it looks.

Worrying about the security, not that i think anyone would even want to go into my garage to steal what is now a 7 year old car :(

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I too am a keyless go fan .. took me a while to stop reaching to put the key ion the ignition tho.... but I always take the main key with me anyway ..just in case....

JeremyTucker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/S430
I too am a keyless go fan .. took me a while to stop reaching to put the key ion the ignition tho.... but I always take the main key with me anyway ..just in case....

Sadly they canned the keycards on the '05 models like mine :( I wonder if i can get an older keyless card type key to work on mine?

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500
Main key? Keycard?

I have 3 keys that looks like this and only one of them is keyless.

Are there other options?

For what it's worth I have (and LOVE!!!) keyless go and pano roof. I don't have Distronic or comfort seats. I haven't tried the comfort seats but I reckon I could have done with them 2 weekends ago on a 3 hour journey in the scorching sun :D

I quite like how the pano roof looks on mine :)

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a credit card type 'key' x 2 and 2 normal keys ...backup ...

JeremyTucker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/S430
Main key? Keycard?

I have 3 keys that looks like this and only one of them is keyless.

Are there other options?

Yeah the early ones had like a credit card type key, it was canned on the later models so therefore i dont have one.

I want one though, i wonder how i can get one...

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500
Yeah the early ones had like a credit card type key, it was canned on the later models so therefore i dont have one.

I want one though, i wonder how i can get one...

I've just been reading about them - they don't have the little emergency hardware key so I'd always be a bit worried about not being able to get in the car :D

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Clearly I am in a minority.

Jeremy, no I have not had keyless go but I have equally never had a problem with a key.....just an old fashioned boy I guess.
I agree that professional thieves are likely to be targeting more valuable cars than a 7yrs. old SL but it is a very disturbing failing in the war on car security.

Mic

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500
Clearly I am in a minority.

Jeremy, no I have not had keyless go but I have equally never had a problem with a key.....just an old fashioned boy I guess.
I agree that professional thieves are likely to be targeting more valuable cars than a 7yrs. old SL but it is a very disturbing failing in the war on car security.

Mic

If you haven't got keyless go you'll still have a "smart key" so blanks can still be programmed to a car as per that recent BMW incident.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom