peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I suspect the dealership might be being a bit "sharp" and charging MB for the full job then trying to get away with the minimum work to get the customer out the door.

You would hope not wouldn't you, but sadly probably true.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Take photos.
Go back to dealership, ask to see the dealer principal. (The head honcho).

Show him around it, tell him it’s not good enough, you know from here that you’ve been made aware that the cure is a back to metal respray and MB is well aware, and no doubt that’s what they’ve charged MB Head Office.

Tell him to take it back in and do it correctly, and that you may get an Independant to check paint depth afterwards (in case they try to skimp again) - that may keep them ‘honest’.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
id raise merry hell but I also wouldn't trust it to the dealer head , id go as high up the food chain in MB as will listen , only way to get a satisfying result I reckon

Dickson1995

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI 2015
My friends was away for 6 weeks, full respray and it looked mint afterwards (if red can look mint):rolleyes:
My friends was away for 6 weeks, full respray and it looked mint afterwards (if red can look mint):rolleyes:
This is a long shot but do you know if it was only the metals that were resprayed? I’m waiting to hear back if mine is approved for repair but I’m trying to get a feel for what people have had done. The guy at the bodyshop said that it would be a “full respray”, but he had previously said that it’s only the metals that are affected. I would ideally like the bumpers done at the same time. Thanks

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
This is a long shot but do you know if it was only the metals that were resprayed? I’m waiting to hear back if mine is approved for repair but I’m trying to get a feel for what people have had done. The guy at the bodyshop said that it would be a “full respray”, but he had previously said that it’s only the metals that are affected. I would ideally like the bumpers done at the same time. Thanks
Unfortunately Mercedes will only respray the metal parts FOC. If you want the bumpers done you will have to pay.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My friends did have a full respray, bumpers included :) Not sure how they got them done as it's now just the metal body panels they do.

SaimaA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C250 SPORT CDI in red
I have contacted Mercedes Blackpool as they are my local dealership. Our car started peeling in Nov 21, and unknowingly thinking it wasn't a manufacturer issue I had it resprayed. The boot lid and front bonnet. But it's now started peeling on other panels all over the car. I emailed Mercedes and they have told me they can't help me as the car is over 10 years old and their paintwork warranty is limited to 10 years. We know there is an issue but our hands are tied. Mercedes won't pay now they have changed the goal posts on how old the car is being the definitive factor regarding these claims.
What a cop out?!
I've emailed the director in Milton Keynes and complaints team. Anyone any pointers on what I can do next. I can't let this go. It's unfair.

Attachments

• 20211209_152859.jpg
    20211209_152859.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 6

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have contacted Mercedes Blackpool as they are my local dealership. Our car started peeling in Nov 21, and unknowingly thinking it wasn't a manufacturer issue I had it resprayed. The boot lid and front bonnet. But it's now started peeling on other panels all over the car. I emailed Mercedes and they have told me they can't help me as the car is over 10 years old and their paintwork warranty is limited to 10 years. We know there is an issue but our hands are tied. Mercedes won't pay now they have changed the goal posts on how old the car is being the definitive factor regarding these claims.
What a cop out?!
I've emailed the director in Milton Keynes and complaints team. Anyone any pointers on what I can do next. I can't let this go. It's unfair.
Hello and welcome

When did you buy the car?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
What a cop out?!
Wow. Not trying to add to your woes, but that's a bad clearcoat peel.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Car was first registered 2011. We purchased in 2015. Had it nearly 7 years.
Mercedes don’t like it if you’ve just bought it and go for warranty as it shows betterment. As you’ve had it so long then that isn’t an issue. Have you any history with Mercedes for servicing ? I’m surprised it’s taken so long to show

SaimaA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No it's not been serviced by Mercedes just a private garage yearly. Agree that it's taken over 10 years to happen but surely a car that has this defective paintwork should be covered until its roadworthy...

SaimaA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I feel I need to prepare for a battle with Mercedes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220224-114147_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224-114147_Email.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 13

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
My friends did have a full respray, bumpers included :) Not sure how they got them done as it's now just the metal body panels they do.
Its a very different process to spray replacement plastic parts....but its very strange that the lacquer peels off the metal sprayed parts....its like the solid color underneath is baked too hard ( metal gets too hot ) and the clear coat doesn't bond sufficiently with it. I wonder has anyone had it done ( under warranty) and did it last, or give trouble a 2nd time?

SaimaA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Post 2020 is there anyone who has managed to have their Mercedes taken in and resprayed under MB goodwill or warranty regarding the Fire Opal red/Mars Red issue.

Currently in a battle with MB to get our red 2011 C250 SPORT taken in as it's starting to peel and blister over several panels.

We first experienced this in Nov last year and had two panels done ourselves not being aware that there was a paint defect but now the car seems to be getting micro blisters around most of its surface.

MB Blackpool dealership being our closest with a bodyshop have advised MB won't touch this as paint work warranty is only 10 years, even though these goal posts only changed very recently. In 2020 they were taking cars of any age that had this paint defect and were giving them a bare metal respray.

It's been an issue that has had a lawsuit over in America which in Dec 21 has been settled with MB paying out over 4 million in costs and agreed to reimburse and fix cars during the age of 15 years and 150000 miles

My argument is the car is still roadworthy. We have had it 7 years. Not our fault the defect has taken so long to rear its head. If the paintwork/Laquer is faulty then they should cover it until its on the car or the 15 years they cover it up until in USA.

Hands are tied is not an adequate response.

I've emailed higher up in the chain. Gary Savage the CEO in the UK, Cust Service UK, and the CEOs at Daimler.com.

Attachments

• IMG-20220222-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20220222-WA0011.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211209_152859.jpg
    20211209_152859.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 2

SaimaA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dealership refusal:

As per telephone conversation earlier ref the fire opal red issue on your vehicle I am advising you that because your vehicle is now over 10 years old unfortunately Mercedes Benz warranty will not cover the paint work issue you have as they have a limit of upto 10 years.

Kind Regards

Hifzur Patel
Bodyshop Supervisor
Mercedes-Benz of Blackpool

Just had a reply from Cust Services. It's been given a case number and will be allocated to be investigated.

However having been researching this issue for the last two days.. it seems this will be an uphill battle. If MB come back with nothing where would one recommend to go next. Ombudsman? Small court claim? Any laws regarding paintwork defects that I can lean on? All help will be much appreciated.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Sorry but as you can see after 10 years the paintwork is out of warranty .There is nothing to say just what was used to clean the car in all that time .Also ..i dont know this ,, but the whole car could have had paint work in the past . Can you say it as not ? But the Opal Red paint is a problem for so many Mercedes cars . Do Google search see if there are other owners with this paint problem and see how they got on .

SaimaA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry but as you can see after 10 years the paintwork is out of warranty .There is nothing to say just what was used to clean the car in all that time .Also ..i dont know this ,, but the whole car could have had paint work in the past . Can you say it as not ? But the Opal Red paint is a problem for so many Mercedes cars . Do Google search see if there are other owners with this paint problem and see how they got on .
Another owner on this forum wrote that they had a 57 plate vehicle and had their vehicle resprayed by Merc in 2020. They again were based like me in the North and used Mercedes in Manchester.

My argument being how is it possible for Mercedes to repair vehicles back to a bare spray respray up until last year, but now state that the paint warranty is only a mere 10 years. When and who agreed to change these goal posts knowing that there was this longstanding issue with some red vehicles

A paint warranty for 10 years may be acceptable for paintwork that has no paint defects at manufacturing stages but when the original laquer and paintwork has been manufactured with a defect I don't think that warranty stands.

Top Bottom