Putting hardtop back on SL 280 107

1984sl280

Reaction score
I have tried to put the hardtop back on for the first time and am not sure its on properly. The passenger side rear side catch seems to be missing a washer. It is very secure annd not going anywhere, but there is a good 4mm gap around the rear sectiion. Is this the way it should be?? Tried many times to resdjust but we could not manage to seal the gap with the mechanism. Had a new soft top fitted at the start of summer and the garage said the meachanism was working well. Any help would be appreciated.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I have tried to put the hardtop back on for the first time and am not sure its on properly. The passenger side rear side catch seems to be missing a washer. It is very secure annd not going anywhere, but there is a good 4mm gap around the rear sectiion. Is this the way it should be?? Tried many times to resdjust but we could not manage to seal the gap with the mechanism. Had a new soft top fitted at the start of summer and the garage said the meachanism was working well. Any help would be appreciated.

Is it a true gap, or a gap between the chrome trim and the tonneau plate? It may well be that the rubber seal is intact if you put a feeler through the perceived gap?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This gap in normal and correct,,sorry I did not see the post yesterday

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
yes there is always a gap around the bottom of the hardtop when on and the "gap" is sealed with the rubber seal inside.

i assume this is what you mean.

Top Bottom