R129 SL320 Headlight issues

Cartez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 320sl
My Xenon headlight lense had a crack which let moisture in. The Xenon light and side light now no longer work but full beam does. The light shorts when a new fuse is put in but full beam continues to work. I've replaced the lense and plan to pull apart the light fitting. Planning to dry out all electrical parts but wondering if anyone has had similar issues and if the short was in a specific part such as the ballast or starter and did drying out fix the issue or were replacement parts required? Any help or advice appreciate.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The fault will I think be in the ecu control, probably mounted under the lamp 90 in the link

The main beam does not use this

b191134f7c275ef37d60a7a3df1fe605-480x319.gif

OP
C

Cartez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 320sl
It ended up being a ballast full of water. Have no idea how it got in there though. Part 85 in the pic. They are not cheap either!

AMck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E320cdi S211, SL320 2000(written off), Lotus Excel
It ended up being a ballast full of water. Have no idea how it got in there though. Part 85 in the pic. They are not cheap either!

If I recall the same ballast is used on some Porsche and Audi. Check eBay for used. Use the reference numbers on the unit - and I think I might have a spare used one if interested.

OP
C

Cartez

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 320sl
Thanks for the advice. Obtained a used one from ebay at £68. All back on track. Thank you for the offer of the spare as well. Not needed now but much appreciated

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom