Speaker grill on late R129 Sl500

Top Cat 500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 1999 : GLA220 AMG 2014 4matic
Heres a tricky one for you! The upper speaker grill cloth on my 1999 SL500 drivers door is distinctly grubby, as it is right beside the parking brake release. Can this panel be removed without taking the whole door card off - ie is it held on with clips and hooks like many MB panels, or is it screwed on from behind?

I have just cleaned the lower speaker grill, which comes off easily with one screw, and the upper one now really looks bad! It cleaned up like new with a mild washing liquid solution and scrubbing brush, but I don't really want to splash grubby water over the nice clean leather to do the upper grill in situ.

I have done some extensive searching on this forum, and others, but while now I know nearly all there is to removing the whole door card (a bit of a faff - but then they always are on relatively modern cars) nowhere can I find this little detail.

Many thanks in advance!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Even if you remove the door card (it would be a shame) it does not come off easily.
Can you not mask up all round the grill with tape around the edge and clean. A damp sponge with some washing up liquid should clean off the human grease. then carefully clean the edge where the masking tape was

OP
Top Cat 500

Top Cat 500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 1999 : GLA220 AMG 2014 4matic
Thanks

You have basically answered my question - its not worth the hassle to take the door card off, and thats the only way. So its some careful work, masking off the surrounding area as you suggest. I think I will wait until the weather is a bit warmer!

Many thanks
Tom

Top Bottom