W124 200T Camshaft Sprocket

Domercnic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'89 W124 200T
Hello Everybody!

I'm a long-time admirer but a first-time owner of a W124 200T estate.
I bought her a few months ago - unfortunately the misfire I was told was to do with the carburettor, turned out to be down to low compression. I and a mechanic friend have diagnosed a sticky or leaky exhaust valve on cylinder No.2 using a cylinder leakage tester.

I'm attempting to remove the head myself; get the new valves seated, and the head skimmed by a professional, and then re-assemble. I'm doing this with the aid of a Haynes manual. Unfortunately the image, and instructions given, are for models without self levelling suspension (or aren't detailed enough for models with) and I don't want to cause any damage. There's a hex socket visible down the centre of the suspension pump shaft (connected to the front of the camshaft sprocket), I have tried to undo this (anti-clockwise) with an allen key whilst holding the camshaft still with a spanner on the flats at the back end of the shaft. Nothing has budged yet though.

Any idea if the hex socket is reverse threaded, or if the suspension pump shaft comes off somehow to give better access to the hex socket? Do I just need a bigger hex tool?

Many thanks to you all, the forum's been a great help to me in diagnosing and treating other faults too so far! (e.g. suspension sphere membranes)

Dominic

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Sorry I am not a techie but welcome to the forum where you no doubt find a wealth of information and help :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have you got a pic of what you need to undo?
As far as I'm aware the suspension pump is on the back of the power steering pump?

OP
D

Domercnic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'89 W124 200T
I managed to undo it in the end - it was easier with a longer hex key on a ratchet. Progress continues...
Thanks hotrodder - that is a nice set of diagrams! I haven't the computer expertise to put any photos up as yet, sorry!
I now need to fashion/buy a slide hammer to extract the upper guide rail location pins...I've heard maybe finding a long appropriate bolt, and putting a socket and washer on it can work?

Last edited:
Top Bottom