W124 E300 cold start issue

wilf1227

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 350 CGI 2012
I have now got my E300. Having had it checked over there are no issues mechanically. There does seem to be a reluctance to start from cold. It takes longer for the engine to fire depending on the temperature, but only from 1st start. Is there a cold start injector or temp sensor that could cause this. Once started it is fine. The one thing I do know needs changing is the oil filler cap. Could this cause an issue with starting or idle speed when warm if it is allowing air past? I remember that the Audi quattro would not idle if the oil filler cap was not located correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
first thing to check here would be the glow plugs. does the warning light come back on once the engine starts?

jamesleigh

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220cdi clk320 cab vito 115 sprinter 315 cdi b180cdi a150cdi
you might try 10 amp fuse in the overload proction relay its behind the battery if your car is a petrol engine

OP
W

wilf1227

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 350 CGI 2012
first thing to check here would be the glow plugs. does the warning light come back on once the engine starts?

Sorry should have said it is petrol rather than diesel.

OP
W

wilf1227

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 350 CGI 2012
you might try 10 amp fuse in the overload proction relay its behind the battery if your car is a petrol engine

I will have a look tomorrow :)

meanie

Reaction score
If it is just reluctant to start (not downright difficult), work through the following;

Dizzy cap & arm
Temperature sender
Cold start injector
All vacuum & breather pipes on the inlet manifold

The oil filler cap should have no bearing on idle, but there is a breather filter in the top of the rocker cover which can get blocked & have an effect on idle quality.
as you've just bought the car, have a sniff of the oil to see if it smells of petrol. If so, replace oil 7 filter (you may want to do this anyway).

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom