W203 Engine Rattle at Idle

Ben1998

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 CDI 2006 (W203)
Hi All,

This is my first post, so not sure where to post it. I have a 2006 W203 CDI. Yesterday I noticed that when I come to a stop the engine seems to be vibrating much harder than usual, causing a buzzing/rattling sound inside the car. It sounds much like the engine is shaking and rubbing against something. If I lift the revs (even by 100 RPM) the sound goes away completely.

Obviously I have looked under the bonnet, but it doesn't look or sound out of the ordinary.

Any help will be appreciated. I was thinking it could be engine mounts, but not sure if it would come on so suddenly?

Thanks.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome!
Engine or gearbox mounts would be my first check, they can seem to suddenly come on, as wear accumulates

OP
B

Ben1998

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 CDI 2006 (W203)
Thanks for your quick reply! The car is already booked in (to have the handbrake cable re-clipped, diagnosed from the forum), so I will mention this to them when it goes in. In the meantime I'll have a look to see if I can see any obvious damage around the mounts. Hopefully it shouldn't be anything too expensive!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom