Muhammad Danish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w220 2001 s500
I have bought W220, 2001, S500 last week. It have 165k Kilometers on the clock and works perfectly fine beside only one issue. It does not lock or unlock from the key. I have to align the key to the door handle to get it lock/unlock. I got the car scanned but there were no errors displayed. I replaced the FOB batteries as well but it didn't work.!! KEY is perfectly fine as well, Light blinks on every button click. Looking for help.!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Sounds like the RF part of the key has failed. If it unlocks close to the drivers door then the IR side of the key is working.
There is a coil in the key that can easily become detached after being dropped a few times…

However if you have 2 keys and both don’t work it could be the RF amp in the car that has stopped working

OP
M

Muhammad Danish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w220 2001 s500
Hello and welcome

Sounds like the RF part of the key has failed. If it unlocks close to the drivers door then the IR side of the key is working.
There is a coil in the key that can easily become detached after being dropped a few times…

However if you have 2 keys and both don’t work it could be the RF amp in the car that has stopped working
Thanks for your reply, Unfortunately, I only have one key. And I got the key checked in a shop, it's fine. The issue is inside the car.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Then the RF amp is not working properly. How is your radio reception?

OP
M

Muhammad Danish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w220 2001 s500
Then the RF amp is not working properly. How is your radio reception?
I have android in my car, haven't checked radio ever. But my car goes silent when I turn the music on high volume. No sound is there, I need to wait for 10 to 15 minutes for the sound to come back. I will check the radio today.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I have android in my car, haven't checked radio ever. But my car goes silent when I turn the music on high volume. No sound is there, I need to wait for 10 to 15 minutes for the sound to come back. I will check the radio today.
The antenna amp gets power from the audio gateway (that you may be missing if you have android headunit installed). May be the source of your issue

OP
M

Muhammad Danish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w220 2001 s500
The antenna amp gets power from the audio gateway (that you may be missing if you have android headunit installed). May be the source of your issue
Brother I am new to all this stuff and I really don't know how to figure it out. It will be very helpful if you can provide me with any diagram or something like that so that I can check the connections or something.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Brother I am new to all this stuff and I really don't know how to figure it out. It will be very helpful if you can provide me with any diagram or something like that so that I can check the connections or something.
The signal from your key fob is sent to the aerial fitted onto the roof of your car.
This signal is weak. So part of the aerial gets power from the car battery to improve this signal.
In your case there is no power going to that part of the aerial.

OP
M

Muhammad Danish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w220 2001 s500
The signal from your key fob is sent to the aerial fitted onto the roof of your car.
This signal is weak. So part of the aerial gets power from the car battery to improve this signal.
In your case there is no power going to that part of the aerial.
I will get it checked this Friday. As I live in Dubai, & our holiday is on Friday. Will updates soon.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom