W221 COMAND NTG 3 iPod Connector in Glovebox

JOE6C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S600 R230 SL600 W221 S320CDI
I am in the process of deciding whether to buy a 2006 S320 CDI and in the glovebox there is an iPod connector (old style). I have tried to connect an iPhone 4 to it but it wont recognise it as a phone and wont charge it either. The car is fitted with the Telephone pre-wiring as an option (code 386). Was this a standard fit feature on the car? I am assuming not.

Also, should the car have an AUX input? I can see the option on the COMAND menu but I can't find the socket?!

Any help would be much appreciated.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Sounds like you've found the iPod interface connector. That is not the same as the iPhone cradle required to interface the iPhone with the telephone pre-wire. There will be a connector in the front centre armrest, to which you will have to connect the correct phone cradle.

have a look at this site for the various options available to you.

http://www.commandonline.co.uk/Mercedes-Bluetooth/

The AUX input will be a 3.5mm jack socket either in the top right front corner of the glove box, or in the front face top centre. That's if it is actually fitted. Not sure if it was a standard fitting on the S class.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The is a whole range of easy to add connections on the 221, just a matter of taking out the control unit and connecting to the multi plug, then into the glove box.

OP
J

JOE6C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The is a whole range of easy to add connections on the 221, just a matter of taking out the control unit and connecting to the multi plug, then into the glove box.

What kind of connections? Ideally I would like to have an AUX connection so I can connect an external audio device. I thought it would have an AUX socket like my R230, but sadly no.

Where is the control box you speak of? And it is it easy to gain access to?

OP
J

JOE6C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like you've found the iPod interface connector. That is not the same as the iPhone cradle required to interface the iPhone with the telephone pre-wire. There will be a connector in the front centre armrest, to which you will have to connect the correct phone cradle.

have a look at this site for the various options available to you.

http://www.commandonline.co.uk/Mercedes-Bluetooth/

The AUX input will be a 3.5mm jack socket either in the top right front corner of the glove box, or in the front face top centre. That's if it is actually fitted. Not sure if it was a standard fitting on the S class.

The iPod interface connector sounds right to me. But how do I control an iPod using COMAND? Or how would I play the sound provided by the device connected in that way?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What kind of connections? Ideally I would like to have an AUX connection so I can connect an external audio device. I thought it would have an AUX socket like my R230, but sadly no.

Where is the control box you speak of? And it is it easy to gain access to?

You can have an Ipod connection, Aux that I have just fitted.

It is a dash out job, partly described here, I was adding DAB and using the aux connection. The Aux lead comes with the 3 wires and instructions of the pins to connect to. I can talk you through the process.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=118747

OP
J

JOE6C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can have an Ipod connection, Aux that I have just fitted.

It is a dash out job, partly described here, I was adding DAB and using the aux connection. The Aux lead comes with the 3 wires and instructions of the pins to connect to. I can talk you through the process.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=118747

Please send me an email to joecollier_jc@hotmail.com so I can send you over a photo of what is in the glovebox currently. Judging by what you have said, the taking out of the dashboard may have been done already.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK and Email sent, the Aux socket is a 3.5mm stereo jack.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The iPod interface connector sounds right to me. But how do I control an iPod using COMAND? Or how would I play the sound provided by the device connected in that way?

If iPod interface fitted it will take the AUX input and controlled via the steering wheel buttons, track tittles etc shown in the cluster display. You need to select AUX first via COMAND.

Last edited:

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
I have the TV option in mine and just ran a lead from AV1 connector on the TV unit in the boot to a 3.5mm jack which plugs into the iphone

set up some playlists and away you go. You can't control it via the comand unfortunately but it was a few quid for the lead and a much cheaper option than the £1,000 that the proper ipod interface is selling for at the moment!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is the connector fitted to member JOE6C car, it is not one that I have seen

Attachments

• IMAG0671.jpg
    IMAG0671.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 48
OP
J

JOE6C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is the connector fitted to member JOE6C car, it is not one that I have seen

The cable is for iPod/iPhone/iPad before the new connected was launched. The quality of the install looks to me good enough to have been done by a Mercedes Main Dealer.

My question with it is what do I need to select in the COMAND system to enable the use of this connector?

And also, if anyone is familiar with the connector and has any knowledge of it, is it one of the expensive aftermarkets installs?

Any more information would be much appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You just select Audio, press and the list comes up of what is there, scroll down and press to activate the function. The list could say Radio, Aux, I pod, Card, CD.

That is an Ipod coupling as you say and can be used in some phone installations.

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The cable is for iPod/iPhone/iPad before the new connected was launched. The quality of the install looks to me good enough to have been done by a Mercedes Main Dealer.

My question with it is what do I need to select in the COMAND system to enable the use of this connector?

And also, if anyone is familiar with the connector and has any knowledge of it, is it one of the expensive aftermarkets installs?

Have a read of the link in my post #12 set the COMAND into AUX mode via the soft key in the AUDIO screen

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Every thing that is fitted is in the drop down menu, if no Aux shown, it is not there. every thing that is added has to be programmed on STAR, once programmed it appears in the drop down menu.

Going by what I can find MB supply a lead for for what you want to plug into that socket.

OP
J

JOE6C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Every thing that is fitted is in the drop down menu, if no Aux shown, it is not there. every thing that is added has to be programmed on STAR, once programmed it appears in the drop down menu.

Going by what I can find MB supply a lead for for what you want to plug into that socket.

The car has an AUX option in the Audio drop down list. I will have a look at it again tomorrow when I can spend some time looking at it again.

OP
J

JOE6C

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Right so I took my iPod (iPod Classic 60GB) along today and it charges and plays when the AUX is connected. It also charges the device. However, when an iPhone is plugged in it did not charge. (iPhone 4)

Is this therefore one of the rather expensive aftermarket kits?

The track information appears in the instrument cluster but not on the COMAND.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Phones are not for me:(

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Right so I took my iPod (iPod Classic 60GB) along today and it charges and plays when the AUX is connected. It also charges the device. However, when an iPhone is plugged in it did not charge. (iPhone 4)

Is this therefore one of the rather expensive aftermarket kits?

The track information appears in the instrument cluster but not on the COMAND.

You do indeed have a genuine Mercedes ipod kit. All you need for charging is one of these;

https://www.commandonline.co.uk/mercedes-ipod-charging-adapter.html

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom