2003 W209 1.8 Gurggling/bubbling when revving engine, sluggish starting, and P0120 fault

CLKSam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209/2003/200
Hi guys,

As my first post and my first Mercedes, hope someone can give me some guidance on a couple of issues i have been having with my 2003 w209 200.
As the title suggests, I have been experincing a gurggling/bubbling noise when putting my foot down on the gas pedal. I recently left my fog lights on and ended up draining the battery a bit, i had to remove the battery and charge it up, since then i have been running the car occasionally to make sure the battery is still charged. While feathering the engine i staterd hearing a guggling sound from behind the steering column. I took the car out this weekend for a 2 day trip and didnt have any issues. It is not over heating, i didnt notice any air bubbles in the coolant resevoir, and didnt notice the noise while driving. However i ran the engine for a bit last night, and the sound was very audible as i gave it a bit of gas...any ideas??

Second issue. As mentioned previously I dropped the battery charge by leaving the foglights on a couple of weeks ago, but even before that, the car has been very sluggish when starting up..it always starts on first try, but it sounds like a weak battery when it is first cranking over. I have measured the batter with a multimeter, and it isnt loosing the charge. The battery holds steady at well over 12.75v when not in use, 13.9 when running. But that said it seems that it is the original batter so it is well over 15 years old. I have not checked the starter relay nor the fuse yet...

And finally I have a P0120 throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A circuit error showing up on my scanner. The car idles a quite sluggish in gear, but drives fine and is relatively quiet in park& neutral. Can anyone tell me where I should start trying to troubleshoot this error?

Sorry about the wall of text, and thank you for any advice given.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Welcome to the forum.
No doubt there will be a few experts along shortly to give you good advice.
My thoughts are perhaps the noise is something in the aircon system it's not the time of year you would use it but test it anyway.
I had a few issues recently with a battery that was 12 years old, started the car easily, good voltage but the car was throwing a few odd codes. Changed it and so far so good.
Start with that before looking at the throttle pedal but it may be one of the two circuits playing up.
Good luck and happy motoring.

OP
C

CLKSam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209/2003/200
Welcome to the forum.
No doubt there will be a few experts along shortly to give you good advice.
My thoughts are perhaps the noise is something in the aircon system it's not the time of year you would use it but test it anyway.
I had a few issues recently with a battery that was 12 years old, started the car easily, good voltage but the car was throwing a few odd codes. Changed it and so far so good.
Start with that before looking at the throttle pedal but it may be one of the two circuits playing up.
Good luck and happy motoring.

Thank you,
I will take a look at the aircon and see if there is anything that pops up.
I'll try replacing the starter relay first, but have been meaning to replace the battery anyway.

Thanks again OS.
Sam

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Have a look at this not sure if it's the same engine but the theory is the same. Have a look around youtube for the two circuits on the throttle pedal which should always match.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
just out of interest you didnt spark the battery when replacing it did you

OP
C

CLKSam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209/2003/200
just out of interest you didnt spark the battery when replacing it did you
Not intentionally, but the negative terminal did spark a bit when I was being putting it back on. Why?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom