Hipolito Gonzalez

Reaction score
Spain/Ylivieska,Finland/Kotor,Montenegro/Svalbard
Website
www.svalbard2020.com
Your Mercedes
ML/2001/320
Hello my friend.
In my ML 320 (W163) 2001 is having a big problem.
First, the history is that a friend gave it to me for free. Because he is not using it anymore and at the used-store they were giving him only 800 eur for the car.... NOTHING. . and he thought...I can make somebody happy.... and is MEEEEEEEEEEE jajajaja of course, the car has some problems. I know it.......

The first and maybe most important problem is this:

When the car is stopped, the brake light turn on/off sometimes, and the brake pads worn down sometimes..... but the brake pads are OK..... (almost new)
If I start moving the car slowly, the sound from running with the emergency brake comes on.. Of course, I think the sound is connected with the speed and the light.... when both are ON (speed and light) it makes the sound... after reaching 5 km/h.... the lights are OFF and not problem.....

But the most important know, and maybe they are relationship, today the BAS/ESP light came ON and after 200 meter driving the RIGHT wheels (i don't know if TWO or only ONE, maybe only one in right back) STOPPED.. BRAKES by themself.... I was driving at about 30 or 40 km/h and the car was braking in the RIGHT SIDE... I controlled the car and after some meters the wheels continue working well. I switched off the car, on again, the light comes ON and I drove carefully to home......

What is your opinion?

Sensors on the right? ABS pump?

My friend told me this issue but he didn't explain well, and he tough the problem was with ETS and for me..... DISABLE the ETS and not problem... but I feel it today and the problem is more dangerous... wheels BRAKING.....

Thank you for your advises, and excuse me for me bad english....

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Most likely, this is not a really a 'major' problem.
A seized caliper piston, a duff ABS sensor or ring, wrong sized tyres per axle; things like that.
Take it to a place that knows about MBs.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Hi Hipolito,
Firstly, you need to check your battery is fully charged. Low voltage can cause plenty of faults.
If the battery is fully charged and shows at least 12.6v with the engine off, I would suspect you may have a faulty brake light switch or bad wheel speed sensor.

Ideally the ML needs to have a diagnostic test done using Mercedes Star equipment which can pinpoint the problem.
This link explains some of the faults that throw the BAS light up.
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/mercedes-bas-asr-light-on/

This link is also useful

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/esp-light-reset/

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The others have covered it nicely so....
Hi and welcome!

OP
H

Hipolito Gonzalez

Reaction score
Website
www.svalbard2020.com
Your Mercedes
ML/2001/320
Most likely, this is not a really a 'major' problem.
A seized caliper piston, a duff ABS sensor or ring, wrong sized tyres per axle; things like that.
Take it to a place that knows about MBs.

Ohhhh thank you my friend

1.- The tires are new and well sized.
I will check both. I have a good mechanical and he has year taking care about my W202... with more than 300k km. He did the engine completly for my W202 and is perfect.

OP
H

Hipolito Gonzalez

Reaction score
Website
www.svalbard2020.com
Your Mercedes
ML/2001/320
Hi Hipolito,
Firstly, you need to check your battery is fully charged. Low voltage can can plenty of faults.
If the battery is fully charged and shows at least 12.6v with the engine off, I would suspect you may have a faulty brake light switch or bad wheel speed sensor.

Ideally the ML needs to have a diagnostic test done using Mercedes Star equipment which can pinpoint the problem.
This link explains some of the faults that throw the BAS light up.
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/mercedes-bas-asr-light-on/

This link is also useful

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/esp-light-reset/

The battery is almost new and is not a problem.
U think the bad wheel speed sensor could be.

I will do soon (I have a long trip in motorhome in the nexts weeks and my mind is in another placer for fixing it right know, but I needed to ask you for having an idea.

You are the best

OP
H

Hipolito Gonzalez

Reaction score
Website
www.svalbard2020.com
Your Mercedes
ML/2001/320
Thank you to everybody.
I bought a used YAW sensor in ebay and I did the replacement myself, very easy, is in the console in the middle, only 4 screw out and fixed.
First, I take out the bad "computer" and the car was working with this assistance for months, until I bought the "new" (for me, but old) and replace it.

Thank youuuuuu

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom