Concerning issues with 2019 e-class just bought yesterday

papawago

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 e-Class e220d
Hi all

Hoping for some advice about the wife's new car.

She just bought a 2019 e-Class from a dealer yesterday, it was a couple of hours of almost entirely motorway driving home and all seemed fine. But yesterday evening and today we've been driving around town and started to notice some really concerning issues.

1) First of all I noticed that once yesterday evening that there was noticeable vibration through the brake pedal when coming to a stop, I was queueing at traffic lights at the time and so was at a very low speed, but it felt as though the ABS was kicking in. Today this happened when the wife was driving too.

2) The Hold function (pressing the brake pedal hard) doesn't seem to work at all (noticed when doing a hill start from traffic lights and I'm so used to having this function that it caught me of guard and I rolled back towards the car behind me).

3) A couple of times the stop/start function would stop then engine, but then it didn't start automatically, we had to start the ignition again manually - I think this happened on the same occasions as the brake pedal vibration, but can't be sure (memory isn't what it used to be :D )

4) When coming home just now the brake issue became much worse, plenty of vibration the the pedal and actually struggled to stop, the car travelled for (I think) a couple of meters before it came to a full stop even with the brake fully depressed. We nursed it home ( just a short distance on a very quiet road) and now have no intention of driving it until the issue is resolved.

Suffice to say I'll be contacting the dealer first thing in the morning, but wondering if anyone has any ideas what we're potentially looking at here?

Thanks in advance.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
1. does sound like ABS kicking in
2. the HOLD function on my car is activated by lightly tapping the brake pedal twice quickly, try that
3. stop start sucks, and it's based on your battery charge, if you want to use it then make sure you battery is fully charged otherwise it won't activate
4. if there are braking issues then go back to the dealer tomorrow, best of luck and I hope you enjoy the car otherwise

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
as regards start/stop, as the car was just bought from a dealer, chances are it hasn't been driven much lately, try going for a 1 -2 hour drive, that'll charge the battery so start/stop works.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Be happy stop start does not work.!!All else back to dealer and if not satisfied tell them to take the car back.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Based on your description of the brake problems and assuming that the engine is an om654 I’d be concerned that the tandem pump in the sump that provides brake vacuum to the servo may be faulty. This is a common issue. The car can become unsafe to drive if this turns out to be the fault, so please proceed with caution

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Vac pump in sump, another "deas head" idea. I was fine as originally designed as on motor bolt on. Reliable n SIMPLE to change.

Last edited:
OP
P

papawago

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 e-Class e220d
So it's unanimous that stop/start is pointless :D I tend to agree, it didn't work when she had a GLC but we never bothered getting it fixed. The problem here is that it stops the engine and then doesn't restart it, so it's the worst possible scenario.

Anyway, I spoke to my local Indy Mercedes garage this morning and they said it's possible it could be a speed/abs sensor. I also spoke to the dealer who seems to be taking is seriously, and they said they had seen a bulletin recently about the Vacuum Pump issue and that Mercedes were fixing them for free as a goodwill gesture, so they're investigating that.

To be honest I don't really care if anyone has to pay, as long as it's not me. My concern at the moment is getting the car safely back on the road as quickly as possible.

Understandably, the dealer will not want to fork out if they can help it and so may push for us to get it fixed at the main dealer (if this goodwill is in fact correct) but in my experience the wait time for a main dealer is weeks, and I'm not prepared to wait that long.

I guess how hard they push will depend upon the cost of the repair, I think I read somewhere that the vacuum pump issue cost around 7k as the engine had to come out and it included 3 days labour, but I may have (hopefully) got the wrong end of the stick

Vac pump in sump, another "deas head" idea. I was finecascoridionallyvdesigned as on motor bolt on. Reliable n SIMPLE to change.
I'm not sure if you're saying is this IS a simple fix or SHOULD be a simple fix :D

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's Not a simple fix but it was previously a 25 min job at little cost.. Now so much more hassle and expense. For why???

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
My only advice is you have the law in your side and you need to keep acting quick as you are. Good to hear the dealer is taking it seriously but, my motto is do not trust anyone!

Report all faults noticed to the dealer and do it by email/letter, which can be evidenced. Also get it logged with trading standards as they will help you avoid being fobbed off. Any faults reported within 6 months are deemed that they were present at the point of sale and therefore the dealers problem, and up to them to prove otherwise regardless of what twaddle comes out of their or, the warranty companies mouths.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

papawago

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 e-Class e220d
Thanks for all the advice, unfortunately if could find anywhere locally that could look at it before at least 2 weeks so I've cautiously agreed for the dealer to collect the car and arrange the repair. They do seem to be taking it seriously, so I'll give them the chance to put it right, hopefully I wont regret it.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Make sure they give your wife a courtesy car while they have yours.

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350d Amg Premium Saloon, Cavansite Blue, 2017
I wouldn’t accept a repair on that car and ask the selling dealer to pick it up and refund
likewise, too many different faults for a 2019 car for my liking, these should have been picked up at the inspection stage by the dealer. Very poor showing by the dealer, was this a Mercedes main dealer.

I would also return for a refund, I’m sure there are many other E Class for sale to choose from.

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP it’s not a E400d by any chance.

OP
P

papawago

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 e-Class e220d
OP it’s not a E400d by any chance.
It's an E220d convertible

The dealer has been back in touch to say that their lead technician thinks it's almost certainly the Vac pump issue that someone else mentions here, and that it would best if it went to the Mercedes main dealership to be addressed. They've offered to deal with Mercedes to get it sorted, but warned that Mercedes may take a few weeks to to resolve it. Otherwise we can reverse the transaction and get a full refund (and get the car that we part exchanged back).

Now it's just a question of whether we follow our heads and get a refund (my preffered choice) or follow our hearts and send it in for repair (the wife's preferred choice).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

The dealer has been back in touch to say that their lead technician thinks it's almost certainly the Vac pump issue that someone else mentions here, and that it would best if it went to the Mercedes main dealership to be addressed. They've offered to deal with Mercedes to get it sorted, but warned that Mercedes may take a few weeks to to resolve it. Otherwise we can reverse the transaction and get a full refund (and get the car that we part exchanged back).

Now it's just a question of whether we follow our heads and get a refund (my preffered choice) or follow our hearts and send it in for repair (the wife's preferred choice).
Always another car.

I’d seriously consider why you need a diesel, then buy a V6 or V8 petrol regardless

Benz17

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Wow, you seem to have a good dealer, I personally would take the refund option. As the saying goes don’t let the heart rule the head.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Wow, you seem to have a good dealer, I personally would take the refund option. As the saying goes don’t let the heart rule the head.
As I understand it if it is the oil/vacuum pump it’s an engine out job to remedy - a really bad design by MB. As it’s a 19 plate the OP has a lot of money tied up the car I’d ask for a refund without hesitation. Might be better to replace it through the MB franchise this time they know what to look for with these cars those with issues go to trade auctions

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom