R230 SL55 Stuck in Park

shagger11

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl55 2003
The brake lamp switch is possible, but so is the gear shift where this fault happens, its an expensive lump at £650, has the gear shift been getting harder or stiff to move on the odd occasion.

This is happening to me mal. What is it?

OP
T

titch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 2003
Brake lamp switch. Best to try it. £12 part from MB. 5mins to fit... There is a link to how it's done on YouTube earlier in this thread. Hope it works! It did for me.

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
Is yours getting hard to get out of P.
I'm stuck in P (2003 R230 SL350). Systems battery was low (7V) charging at the moment. Even with engine running providing 14.2V on system battery, still stuck in P. The brake light switch referred to in this post - to check it, is it not just a matter of if the brake lights come on (which they do), then the switch is OK?

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I'm stuck in P (2003 R230 SL350). Systems battery was low (7V) charging at the moment. Even with engine running providing 14.2V on system battery, still stuck in P. The brake light switch referred to in this post - to check it, is it not just a matter of if the brake lights come on (which they do), then the switch is OK?
I've had this on my year 2000 CLK. Low voltage will lock it in park.

Look at your gearstick, immediately under D there's a secret window. Simply push a pencil through the window and that should unlock the transmission.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
The brake light switch is double pole and fuel function. One pole operates the brake lights and the other supply voltage to the transmission. The problem is the contacts burn out and you lose the supply to the transmission, or it becomes unreliable. It's worth changing the brake light switch anyway, they fail, there cheap and there fitted in seconds.

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
It was the brake light switch - all sorted, thanks for the replies.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Thanks for letting us know. Always appreciated.

Fitboyslim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG (230)
No such thing on an R230 as they have no steering lock, so use the gearbox lock as a security mechanism.
Hi guys, I am a new member.
I have 2003 SL 55 which I’ve had for 11 years. I have been having problems with the gear lever stuck in park. After trawling the members site I found the advice on the brake light switch and changed it but unfortunately this did not work. I only do on average just over 4000 miles a year and I have a continuing problem keeping the battery charged, I am using it even less at the moment because of the gearstick proble, does that have anything to do with it?
Can I remove the plastic locking plate that is referred to in one of the threads myself or is it a garage job?
I don’t mind not having the “lock in park” facility

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hi guys, I am a new member.
I have 2003 SL 55 which I’ve had for 11 years. I have been having problems with the gear lever stuck in park. After trawling the members site I found the advice on the brake light switch and changed it but unfortunately this did not work. I only do on average just over 4000 miles a year and I have a continuing problem keeping the battery charged, I am using it even less at the moment because of the gearstick proble, does that have anything to do with it?
Can I remove the plastic locking plate that is referred to in one of the threads myself or is it a garage job?
I don’t mind not having the “lock in park” facility
They are probably un related.

It is doable, but its much easier to remove the lever if your gear stick is not stuck in park.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As Alex says...on the other thing you should invest in a trickle charger like a Ctek...

Fitboyslim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG (230)
Thanks guys,
I’m pretty confident I can get it out of park after reading your posts, but once I do that, do I need to get underneath the vehicle to take out the assumed damaged plastic part, or can I do it from the top, inside the car?
I will be buying the trickle charger today...

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Thanks guys,
I’m pretty confident I can get it out of park after reading your posts, but once I do that, do I need to get underneath the vehicle to take out the assumed damaged plastic part, or can I do it from the top, inside the car?
I will be buying the trickle charger today...
Mostly done from inside, but you will need to remove the shift assembly from the car to dismantle it, and it requires that you disconnect the lever that goes into the box. Easier to pop it off from underneath.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
You need to remove gearshift complete from above but disconnect under car, then strip and replace/remove lock lever.

Fitboyslim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL55 AMG (230)
Thanks again guys, I am on it......

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom