W210 central locking issues

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Hi guys,

Just bought a 1997 E230 Elegance :D
It's got a few wee things that need sorted out. It only came with the emergency key, the one with no buttons. My question is, when I unlock the drivers door with the metal key should the other doors unlock too?
I have noticed that once I am in the car I can open all the doors with the button on the dash but I can't lock them again. I can push the doorpins down and lock them manually though. I have tried the button with the drivers door open and closed.
The other thing that I have noticed is that if I set the dome lights to come on when a door is open then get out and lock the drivers door with the key the lights will not go off. I waited for a minute or two and they stayed on.
Am I right in thinking that the central locking will not lock if the car thinks a door is open?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Not an easy one at all, very hard with no real remote key, the fact the the car will unlock but not lock does suggest a fault in the PSE pump and this need to be checked with a volt meter when the lock button in the car is pressed

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
The drivers door only will unlock with the metal key blade, it's purpose is for emergency entry/locking only, the missing remote control is responsible for locking all the doors/boot and fuel flap.

Replace the missing remote and things might resolve themselves.

Pressing the door lock switch while inside the car will lock all doors BUT as soon as you open the drivers door all the doors unlock automatically, there supposed to do that…… I think every thing is normal or would be if you had the original remote.

A new remote from a Mercedes dealer is around £230?

Dec

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Il get my multimeter out tomorrow! When I unlock the doors using the dashboard button I can hear the pump running for a couple of seconds, doesn't do anything when I press 'lock' though.
I was thinking maybe there is a faulty door switch. That would explain the lights staying on at least.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The drivers door only will unlock with the metal key blade its purpose is for emergency entry/locking only, the missing remote control is responsible for locking all the doors/boot and fuel flap.

Replace the missing remote and things might resolve themselves.

Pressing the door lock switch while inside the car will lock all doors BUT as soon as you open the drivers door all the doors unlock automatically, there support to do that…… I think every thing is normal or would be if you had the original remote.

A new remote from a Mercedes dealer is around £230?

Dec

But the car should still lock from the dash switch, there is the possibility that the switch is faulty, but a small one, not sure if the early 210 auto locks when driving but I thought that it should

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Pressing the door lock switch while inside the car will lock all doors BUT as soon as you open the drivers door all the doors unlock automatically

I remember my old W202 did that now you mention it. With this car nothing happens when I push the door lock switch. Switch still unlocks doors fine though.

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240 classic est 2000 2.4
But the car should still lock from the dash switch, there is the possibility that the switch is faulty, but a small one, not sure if the early 210 auto locks when driving but I thought that it should

My 2000 E240 does it Malcolm but I'm not sure prior to that.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 2000 E240 does it Malcolm but I'm not sure prior to that.

Thanks, yes there were some changes, 2 major ones on the electrics and the earlier had virtually no CAN to speak of

eihtur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180k 3door

They have auto locked since first introduced about 95 (96 in this country).

To the OP...does your car have the red and green lights in the RVM...if yes (the early ones did) then you have the simpler opening system, which I believe is much cheaper to replace than the later fob/key.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
I missed the bit about the light staying on however the other 3 doors will still lock if say the drivers door was open, as soon as the drivers door is slammed shut, it locks too… just did that on my W202.

Dec

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
They have auto locked since first introduced about 95 (96 in this country).

To the OP...does your car have the red and green lights in the RVM...if yes (the early ones did) then you have the simpler opening system, which I believe is much cheaper to replace than the later fob/key.

No, I have the auto-dimming mirror. Expensive key :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The flip out key cost £185, I bought one earlier this year, but the locking must be fixed before all that

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Would ordering a replacement dashboard switch be a good place to start?
Ahh, I have missed this forum. Thanks guys.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is probably the last thing, you need a voltmeter to test it

eihtur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180k 3door
That is probably the last thing, you need a voltmeter to test it

For the slow (like me), what setting on the voltmeter...and what are you looking for?

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Would it be a case of voltmeter across terminals on pump, check for 12v when switch is pressed?

OP
T

thecrookedvulture

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 Elegance
Hang on, my brain is kicking in I think! Would a better way to test it be to set the multimeter to check for open/closed circuit, attach to terminals on back of switch, press button? There should be no resistance in the circuit when the button is pressed in either direction if I am remembering this correctly.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom