560 sec changed on kickdown but no power

BO'H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
560 SEC
Hi,
Hopefully someone can assist:
My 560sec is lacking power. Now, it has stood for 7 years and i am only 300 miles in to blowing the cobwebs out of it and this includes using fuel additive to clean the injectors but she is v sluggish and on kickdown, she changes gear but then just hangs there and does not surge forward. I have to let off so she changes back into the gear she was in for her to pick up speed. There is sometimes a misfire at that point but not always and in fact happens less now. She maxes out at 100mph. She has had a full service including distie cap, rotor arm and plugs and fuel pump. She is running weak, due to needing to reduce hydrocarbons for the MOT, and i have been advised to keep it that way whilst the additive gets to work. I know the cylinders are all ok too.
The ASR light is on - could this be culprit?
Thanks in advance,
Benedict.

OP
B

BO'H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
560 SEC
A mechanic who knows these cars said it may be the throttle rod linkage but this part is not available anymore for my 560SEC with ASR.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You need to get the diagnostics read using STAR. ASR being lit will kill the throttle response and reduce throttle openings by internally adjusting the linkage in the throttle body.

OP
B

BO'H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
560 SEC
Interesting - thank you. Have to say i have just manually moved the throttle linkage and it seemed ok. At the pedal end though, things are drastically different with the inch or more of play. I did not realise the diagnostics could be read on machines as old as these. Thank you.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom