The saga is almost over - 2005, C220 CDI Classic SE, S203.208 (Estate), OM646.963 Engine

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The grey tube will go to a vacuum source. In a petrol car this would be the inlet manifold. On a diesel I would guess it has a feed from the vacuum pump.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
... and in the twist-to-remove plastic housing there is a diaphragm, nothing else. It is remotely possible that one of the diaphragms has a leak, but not both at the same time. Test the gearing mechanism to make sure it's free to move. Don't look for large movements, it only moves about a quarter inch max. If it's stiff you can lubricate it, but usually the system gives no trouble.

And don't confuse this with headlamp beam adjustment. This is done by a plastic screw, visible from above, on each headlight.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
The grey tube will go to a vacuum source. In a petrol car this would be the inlet manifold. On a diesel I would guess it has a feed from the vacuum pump.

Okay. Where will that vacuum pump be? Close to the inlet manifold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
... and in the twist-to-remove plastic housing there is a diaphragm, nothing else. It is remotely possible that one of the diaphragms has a leak, but not both at the same time. Test the gearing mechanism to make sure it's free to move. Don't look for large movements, it only moves about a quarter inch max. If it's stiff you can lubricate it, but usually the system gives no trouble.

And don't confuse this with headlamp beam adjustment. This is done by a plastic screw, visible from above, on each headlight.

Yes. I attempted to move the gearing inside and it would not budge. I did wonder if I could lubricate it. Both were very stiff. And yes I have already located the black plastic screw. I do need to move that for the other failure. But first I need to do when it's a bit darker and in front of something where I can current positions of lights.
I have just got back home now and need to eat.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
At least there is no mention of an emissions failure on the list given the black death / fuel contamination / injector rebuild issues....

Yes. I was shocked by that. Which means that all my cleaning efforts worked. Even though Halfords's complained that my exhaust was smoking too much and they reckoned it was burning too much fuel. Is that possible?

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Okay. Where will that vacuum pump be? Close to the inlet manifold?

As its a diesel the engine wont produce a vacuum on the inlet so diesels have vacuum pumps which can be electric or belt driven. Yours will be belt driven from the crank. You can probably find it by looking at your brake servo and following the vacuum hose back to it. The pump may feed a little manifold with multiple pipes coming from it.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
As its a diesel the engine wont produce a vacuum on the inlet so diesels have vacuum pumps which can be electric or belt driven. Yours will be belt driven from the crank. You can probably find it by looking at your brake servo and following the vacuum hose back to it. The pump may feed a little manifold with multiple pipes coming from it.

It's driven from of the cams on the front of the engine, but otherwise spot on :)

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
It's driven from of the cams on the front of the engine, but otherwise spot on :)

One of the cams? So I am looking for a pump roughly where the lower crank pulley is at the front of the engine , correct?

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
I thought I would show what Halfords (forget what people call them now?!!) were going to charge me for this lot.
ae4eb6322d776de7580896a27733ac34.jpg

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
One of the cams? So I am looking for a pump roughly where the lower crank pulley is at the front of the engine , correct?

No sorry, stupid phone keyboard !

Yes one of the cams. End of the camshaft. Drivers side camshaft on the front top of the engine.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
No sorry, stupid phone keyboard !

Yes one of the cams. End of the camshaft. Drivers side camshaft on the front top of the engine.

Okay. Will have a look when I get back to the car again. Thank you.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Why were they charging more for one wheel bearing than the other given they are the same part and same job?
And why change when they can be adjusted?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Why were they charging more for one wheel bearing than the other given they are the same part and same job?
I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s nothing wrong with them and they don’t require adjustment even. Mercedes do appear to have a bit more movement than others when set correctly. Depends if they’re looking for work on a £10 MOT...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s nothing wrong with them and they don’t require adjustment even. Mercedes do appear to have a bit more movement than others when set correctly. Depends if they’re looking for work on a £10 MOT...
Call me a cynic but I wouldn't be at all surprised...

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
To locate the vacuum pump, just look as directed above (front and left, on end of cylinder head). It's the object with a vacuum pipe coming from it. You can check its operation with a vacuum gauge, but if the brakes work fine - which they obviously do as they have just passed an Mot - the pump is not at fault.
If necessary, it is possible to overhaul this pump and fit new O-rings, but I reckon you've taken enough of this motor to bits already, and I wouldn't recommend it!

As far as the wheel bearings are concerned, there was no mention on the Mot of noise, which would indicate worn bearings, so these are probably fine and just need simple adjustment as already described. Don't let Halfrauds take you for a sucker - you know enough about your motor by now to do this easy adjustment yourself.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

Well exactly!! I don't trust them at all.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

Yep. I even laughed at the tyre price. All mine are just 10% worn part worn Pirelli's which I can get fitted for £35. And i am very happy with them. So, I will get another one of the same.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Call me a cynic but I wouldn't be at all surprised...

When I got back to Jane's house we had a discussion about it. And my first thought was that matey boy in Halfords had just grabbed hold of the tyre and wobbled it. There was absolutely no measurement done at all. And I was then annoyed that there isn't any measuring tool for this. Because there needs to be.
Garages are still ripping people off and making money on stuff that really does not need doing. It's criminal!!!

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
To locate the vacuum pump, just look as directed above (front and left, on end of cylinder head). It's the object with a vacuum pipe coming from it. You can check its operation with a vacuum gauge, but if the brakes work fine - which they obviously do as they have just passed an Mot - the pump is not at fault.
If necessary, it is possible to overhaul this pump and fit new O-rings, but I reckon you've taken enough of this motor to bits already, and I wouldn't recommend it!

As far as the wheel bearings are concerned, there was no mention on the Mot of noise, which would indicate worn bearings, so these are probably fine and just need simple adjustment as already described. Don't let Halfrauds take you for a sucker - you know enough about your motor by now to do this easy adjustment yourself.

That was the word i was looking for 'Halfrauds', love it!!!!
And yes you are right on all counts. Currently at home in Gosport getting my WIS up and running so as to check these things.
And I agree with you on my knowledge now. And growing more all the time.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom